Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Construction - Whole house Automation Help needed

New Construction - Whole house Automation Help needed

Good Day all,

I am a newbie here. Have a new house under construction and want to set up the wiring for Caseta.

Below is what i want to do.

1. For each Room in each Floor ( there are 2 Floors and a Basement) , have one switch/controller to control all the lights on that floor and each other floor ; so i will have 3 controllers in each Floor.

2. Have one Controller that will switch off all the lights on thee entire house.

3. Have a controller to only manage the exterior lights.

How do i go about setting this up.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Caseta has a limit of 50 devices so unless you have a really small house, it probably isn't the best solution. There have been discussions here about using multiple Caseta systems in a single home. It gets complicated though.

What ever system you chose, you need a dimmer or switch to control each zone. Caseta uses Pico remotes so you would need one for each floor and one for the whole house. Other systems use keypads so you could use one keypad with multiple buttons.

All of the current Lutron systems have astronomic clocks. You program a scene to turn the exterior lights on. Another to turn them off. You can also use a Pico/keypad to control the exterior lights.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

I'm not sure what you mean by a "controller".

There are dimmers/switches for each load, pico remotes which control other dimmers/switches/scenes, and the smart bridge which gives you control via the app and interfaces to voice control systems such as Alexa.

You can do it ... with some limitations ..

Quote Originally Posted by kmaheshwaran View Post
    Good Day all,

I am a newbie here. Have a new house under construction and want to set up the wiring for Caseta.

Below is what i want to do.

1. For each Room in each Floor ( there are 2 Floors and a Basement) , have one switch/controller to control all the lights on that floor and each other floor ; so i will have 3 controllers in each Floor.

2. Have one Controller that will switch off all the lights on thee entire house.

3. Have a controller to only manage the exterior lights.

How do i go about setting this up.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
    You can do this, but with a few limitations.
    Limitation 1: You need to have less than 50 total devices, unless you wan to have multiple hubs (you could do 1 per floor without too much gried.)
    Limitation 2: You would control each floor with a Pico remote.

If you have more than 50 devices, using multiple hubs, you will need to pair a single pico for each floor, and if you do exceed you will no have a single pico remote to shut all lights off. If you need to shut all off and more than 50 devices, you would need to run one hub directly to an Amazon device, then the second through a SmartThings hub, then connect the SmartThings hub to the Amazon device.

(There are others ways to do this, but similar in that you need some third party devices if your limit is greater than 50.)

If less than 50, you can do everything you ask to do with switches, a hub and a few pico remotes.

-Matt

I think the best solution for you is to contact a qualified electrician to whom you will tell all your wishes and he will help you set up everything the way you need.

This way, you will save a lot of time and money. I did the same with the interior design in the new house. I rented furniture from https://onstage-online.com for the first time, and I found a good interior designer who developed an interesting design for my house. I would never have been able to take into account all the details and make everything so cool.

Depending on the size of your home, how many actual lighting loads, and the complexity of control, Caséta may just be the right fit for you. The total number of devices allowed for Caséta is actually 75, including the Bridge / Hub. From what you have described, can be easily accomplished using the appropriate components in the Caséta product line.

Caséta does not require any special wiring. Wire as you normally would. Take into consideration, if you would like outlets controlled by dimmers / switches, and have those wired accordingly. Same for ceiling, task, accent, and outdoor lighting control.

1. Plan out what needs to be controlled in each room (dimmers / switches)
    Load type (Incad, Halogen, LED, Flour, Neon)
    2. Scene Control (Picos)
    3. Global / Master Scene Control (Picos)

This should give you a head start, if you need any additional help reach out to me, I'm a Lighting Designer / Consultant

I have a large Caseta System installed in my home. Every single Light is controlled by Caseta ! Including closet lights, Lava Lamps, decorative lighting, task / desk, bathroom lighting. My entire system consist of 24 Caseta Dimmers, 2 Switches, 16 Pico Remotes, and 6 Pedestals.

The Pico Remotes range from the standard 3 Button Raise / Lower to 4 Button Scene Picos and Custom Engraved 4 Button Scene Picos. Pico Remotes are on Pedestals (Gloss Black) ranging from single, double and triple and wall mounted with plates. Most devices are in Gloss Black and 4 Button Picos are in Midnight.

This provides a Complete System that enables full automation of my lighting in my home. Scene controls in each room, Scenes across rooms, and Global Scenes throughout the home. I'm able to turn Every Single Light OFF, touching one button at my door, as I leave my home. When within 1000 feet of my home, my lights come on automatically to my "Arriving Home" Scene.

Caséta System

1 - Caséta Hub
    19 - Dimmers (mix of PD-6WCL-GWH and PD-5NE-BL)
    5 - Lamp Modules
    2 - Switch
    27 Devices Total

5 - 3 Button Picos (PJ2-3BRL-GWH-L01)
    1 - 2 Button Pico (PJ2-2B-GWH-L01)
    2 - 4 Button Family Room Pico (PJ2-4B-GWH-P01)
    1 - 4 Button Kitchen Pico (PJ2-4B-GWH-P02)
    3 - 4 Button Any Room Picos (PJ2-4B-GWH-P03)
    4 - 4 Button Custom Engraved Pico (PJ2-4B-TMN-EL2)
    16 Picos Total

43 Total Devices

1 - Single Pedestal
    4 - Double Pedestal
    1 - Triple Pedestal
    Wall Mounted Pico Plates