Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alexa and caseta - won’t work with any commands

Alexa and caseta - won’t work with any commands

Hi, I have my caseta working perfect with Home Kit. I have it working perfect with the Alexa and lutron app. When I issue any command to Alexa to turn on turn off or set the dimmer to a percent, it says I can’t find the device with that name.

I then created 3 Alexa Scenes to turn on, turn off or dim the lights all the way down. The scenes work flawlessly!

Is Alexa designed to only integrate via voice for “scenes”, or should commands work. I have my lights named Master Bedroom Lights. I have renamed to a few different things with no luck. I have tried commands such as Dim, Set, turn off, turn On, no luck.

I have an Ecobee thermostat that works fine via Alexa commands with NO Scenes.

Have you told Alexa to "discover devices"?

Do the scenes show up in your Alexa app?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry in TN View Post
    Have you told Alexa to "discover devices"?

Do the scenes show up in your Alexa app?
    I did the discovery through the app. I created scenes in the Alexa app and those work. Such as turn on the lights or turn off the lights. But if Insay any command to set or dim main lights, Alexa says, main lights doesn’t support that command. So it recognizes the device, but anything I ask says it doesn’t support it. Only follows the scenes I created.

Check in the Amazon Alexa app and make sure the devices are discovered as switches or lights. If detected as another type of device, will not response to lighting requests.

Quote Originally Posted by MattS View Post
    Check in the Amazon Alexa app and make sure the devices are discovered as switches or lights. If detected as another type of device, will not response to lighting requests.
    I verified, device type is Light.

Could the name "main lights" be confused with some other device? Try temporarily changing the name to something else that is completely different sounding and see if it'll work.

Try creating a "group" in the Alexa app and include only the "main lights" in the group. Then try the voice commands "..., [new group name] 50%" and see if that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry in TN View Post
    Could the name "main lights" be confused with some other device? Try temporarily changing the name to something else that is completely different sounding and see if it'll work.

Try creating a "group" in the Alexa app and include only the "main lights" in the group. Then try the voice commands "..., [new group name] 50%" and see if that works.
    I solved the issue, I have Two Amazon accounts and Setuo the lights on a. Different Alexa account than the one we use for Alexa! I changed accounts on my phone, re-added the lights and it works perfect now!