Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RA2 Main Repeater and Sonos in same LAN

Post RA2 Main Repeater and Sonos in same LAN

A recent tech release I read mentioned that the RA2 Main Repeater may enter in safe mode when installed in the same LAN with wired Sonos devices. The remediation procedures call on either unplug the maximum # of Sonos devices from the LAN and use WiFi to avoid UDP overflow - or - to add the RA2 Main Repeater on a separate VLAN. The latter in my opinion is not a feasible solution, because if the RA2 Main Repeater remains on a separate LAN the client won't be able to use Home Control+ via WiFi (which resides in the main LAN 99.9% of the time). Would anyone agree with this statement? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimerize View Post
    A recent tech release I read mentioned that the RA2 Main Repeater may enter in safe mode when installed in the same LAN with wired Sonos devices. The remediation procedures call on either unplug the maximum # of Sonos devices from the LAN and use WiFi to avoid UDP overflow - or - to add the RA2 Main Repeater on a separate VLAN. The latter in my opinion is not a feasible solution, because if the RA2 Main Repeater remains on a separate LAN the client won't be able to use Home Control+ via WiFi (which resides in the main LAN 99.9% of the time). Would anyone agree with this statement? Thank you.
    I'd venture something like a low-end router running dd-wrt, pfsense or the like could be set up to act as a filter. Block the problematic traffic from reaching the Main Repeater(s). Given the low bandwidth requirements for a Repeater it's not like you'd need anything more than the most entry-level offerings.

I believe if the Ra2 Main Repeater is on a separate VLAN your client won't be able to auto-discover the Main Repeater but they should be able to add the Main Repeater manually in Home Control Plus setup - the person setting up the LHC+ app will need to know the (static) IP.

Where did you find this tech release? Was it a lutron site? I'm constantly confused about where to find all app notes, tech releases, white papers etc. mylutron.com hasn't begun to catch up with resi.lutron.com. I still use resi for Homeworks but my credentials don't let me log in to the old Ra2 site.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    All our App Notes and Technical Bulletins can be found in either your myLutron account. When logged in to your myLutron account, go to myLutron -> Software & Support -> Radio Ra2 -> Application Notes.

Mike, thanks for trying to help. I went to myLutron, and followed myLutron-> Technical Bulletins and Issue Alerts -> Technical Bulletins and Issue Alerts (again) and that launched a new page with the reference we're looking for here.
    Your instructions don't seem to match up with what I see when I go to myLutron.com, and that's why I'm constantly confused. There are a LOT of pages with some of the info I need, but the navigation seems byzantine.
    Dimerize, sorry to hijack your thread.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Digit1, you can also go to www.lutron.com/en-US/Service-Support/Pages/Technical/ApplicationNotes.aspx for a list of application notes, or if there is one specifically you cannot find, you can request it by sending an email to systemsupport@lutron.com

FWIW: On my home system I had RR2 and Sonos on one network without any issue at all. I pulled Sonos after a few months to go with Bluesound instead, but no issues there.

I had an issue with my Main Repeater going into Safe Mode. Lutron blamed Sonos, and best as I can tell it was the source of the issue. However there is a much better solution than Lutron suggests.
    Sonos creates a "broadcast storm" when the Internet cuts out and then returns. There is a very easy fix that will not only resolve the Lutron problem but other network problems as well.
    All Sonos units need to be disconnected from power and the wired network.
    Next default one of the Sonos units.
    re-setup Sonos to connect to the wireless network only!
    Sonos used to require a wired connection to create a Sonos network, this is no longer the case in 99% of Sonos installs.
    When Sonos only connects to the network as a wifi client and does not create the Sonos network or "SonosNet" the bred cast storm doesn't happen. Also because Sonos isn't fighting the wifi devices in the house to broadcast on the same frequencies as the wifi network the result is a much stronger (less wifi noise) wifi network.
    The only downside is that all of the Sonos settings are lost and the streaming accounts have to be entered again.