Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Working in a pretty large home, with a very detailed lighting system using almost 95 loads of Ra2. I am using H6BRL, W6Brl, and RRd-6na dimmers. The electrical contractor installed Downlights by Nora called the Onyx. Not on any supported list, and it has come to light that i will either have to tear out the lutron system or make the electrician replace all the trims in the home, and that is a lot. I have big flickering issues and poor dimming cabability.
    I am looking for some last minute tricks or tips to help save the job.

Before you tear things out, I would start by adjusting the phase control on the 6NA dimmers. I have found that 'auto' doesn't always work well with LED loads- sometimes you'll find that forcing the dimmer forward phase or reverse phase will get rid of trouble.
    I just looked at nora spec sheet and recommended dimmers list on nora website and it looks like you should try forcing the 6NA dimmers to forward phase. It's worth also trying a circuit in forced reverse phase and seeing if that works any better.
    You will probably need to adjust the low-end trim- if that is factory I'm pretty sure you'll see a lot of flicker at the low end of the range. The nora spec doesn't seem to support low end dimming very well.

I think with the right adjustments you can make this system serviceable. Make sure neutrals are present at all Hybrid Keypads. Change the 6NA dimmers from Auto to Forward and/or Reverse phase. Adjust trim levels. Consider each fixture to be unknown wattage- more than 6 fixtures on a 6NA dimmer might overload it. 20 watts LED can look like 100 watts Inc at start up to a dimmer- if you have a lot of zones with 8+ fixtures the dimmers may be overloaded.

Hope this helps-

Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    Before you tear things out, I would start by adjusting the phase control on the 6NA dimmers. I have found that 'auto' doesn't always work well with LED loads- sometimes you'll find that forcing the dimmer forward phase or reverse phase will get rid of trouble.
    I just looked at nora spec sheet and recommended dimmers list on nora website and it looks like you should try forcing the 6NA dimmers to forward phase. It's worth also trying a circuit in forced reverse phase and seeing if that works any better.
    You will probably need to adjust the low-end trim- if that is factory I'm pretty sure you'll see a lot of flicker at the low end of the range. The nora spec doesn't seem to support low end dimming very well.

I think with the right adjustments you can make this system serviceable. Make sure neutrals are present at all Hybrid Keypads. Change the 6NA dimmers from Auto to Forward and/or Reverse phase. Adjust trim levels. Consider each fixture to be unknown wattage- more than 6 fixtures on a 6NA dimmer might overload it. 20 watts LED can look like 100 watts Inc at start up to a dimmer- if you have a lot of zones with 8+ fixtures the dimmers may be overloaded.

Hope this helps-
    I appreciate all your insite on this issue. I have tried all the things you mentioned. and have adjusted the trims to the max at the bottom end and still have flickering occuring. Homeowner is not happy with the dimming level.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulHagen View Post
    I appreciate all your insite on this issue. I have tried all the things you mentioned. and have adjusted the trims to the max at the bottom end and still have flickering occuring. Homeowner is not happy with the dimming level.
    Sorry to hear that didn't work. If this was my job I'd try every Ra2 dimmer available before recommending all of the Nora fixtures get replaced. It's possible that a 10ND or 6CL might work better, it's worth trying.

The 6ND is supposed to have some "new & improved" electronics.

Nora drivers are notoriously noisy (i.e. cheap). You can try some old-school noise filters.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com