Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lights flash when turned on

What about when this happens after a year or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin F. View Post
    Hello All,We appreciate all of the posts and feedback regarding LED compatibility issues with Lutron dimming controls. Unfortunately, there is very little industry standardization to how LED's are being manufactured at the moment and as such there are frequent changes made to LED products by the manufacturer that change their overall performance when a dimming signal is applied to them. We have an entire team here at Lutron that does nothing but tests LED's against our dimming controls so we can provide as many recommendations for compatible LED's as possible to our customers. They keep our online LED Compatibility Tool @ www.Lutron.com/LEDFinder up to date with the latest tested and passing lamps as well as removing ones that have been identified to have characteristics changed about the lamp itself from when we tested it here at Lutron. If there is ever an LED lamp that is listed on our online compatibility tool that is being utilized with the listed dimmer that is not performing adequately, we would advise either calling in to our 24/7 technical support group @ 1-888-Lutron1 (588-7661) or email in to LEDS@Lutron.com with the information on the LED lamp and dimming control being used. The best way to determine if there is a functional issue with the Lutron dimmer or if LED compatibility is taking place would be to remove just one of the LED lamps and replace with an incandescent or halogen lamp. If this stabilizes the dimming of the remaining LED lamps it confirms there is an incompatibility between the LED lamp and Lutron dimmer. If the issue remains with the incandescent or halogen lamp in place, there is a good chance there is something up with the dimmer, in which case we would advise giving us a call here at Lutron technical support for us to process and RMA for a replacement dimmer. We appreciate the continued interest in Lutron dimming and switching controls and look forward to assisting with any issues that may arise with our products. Thanks,Justin F. (Lutron Technical Support)
    I understand your position, you can only verify the system works with certain bulbs. However some of us have this issue after a period of time. I have two dimmers that I bought about 3 months apart that worked fine initially and for about a year and then started displaying this issue ( the second one a few months after the other). It seems like this is something that can happen over time. Perhaps when the bulbs get older they have more issues? In any case I'm glad I held back buying more switches. I hope that you make a more definitive statement.

I am experiencing this issue with the PD-6WCL dimmer and the Philips 802389 downlights that are listed as "Best" in the compatibility tool. I am controlling 8 recessed lights, and found that if I replace just one light with another brand - Cree or Halo, which are not listed as compatible - the problem goes away. That makes me believe that the problem could be fixed at the switch.

Thought I'd share a positive Maestro/Casèta LED lighting story.

Recently switched from X-10 to Maestro and Casèta in part due to X-10's legendary LED incompatibility. We've ten wall dimmers and plug-in modules controlling a mix of CREE and Feit Edison bulbs, an LED ceiling fixture from Lowe's (store brand, IIRC), and a ceiling fixture from Ikea. The only one that gave me trouble was the ceiling fixture from Lowe's. After I replaced the Maestro dimmer on that one with a Casèta, it would occasionally flash on-and-off when turned on. I raised the low-end trim a bit and the problem seems to have abated.

I also have Casèta wall switches on a pair of fluorescent fixtures and a couple 100W (equivalent) LED bulbs.

One of the Maestro dimmers is controlling another ceiling fixture from Ikea.

The key words in my prior post were "seems to have" :( The problem remains, no matter how high I trim up. This is the only light that gives me grief, so no more cheap Lowe's brand LED fixtures for me.

Diva CL also

Just wanted to add to this thread for future search-ers: This "flash on cold start" bug is not unique to the system dimmers above: a brand-new (2021) Lutron Diva CL (DVCL-153P, now called LED+) does the same. This happened with a dimmable LED BR30 bulb, the EcoSmart (Home Depot house brand) Model 1003015903, which is just one of the various models sold under their SKU 1001655251. (Some other model # under that SKU is listed as compatible, but *not* that one.) That particular model was designed to work well with old-fashioned incandescent dimmers, and it does OK with an old DV-600P. So don't proactively go around replacing your old Divas, but when they break -- at around 15 years the pivot fails -- consider updating your bulbs to match. [Conjecture: I don't want to rip my new Diva CL's apart, but I bet they have some microcontroller inside them and the slider is merely a control input rather than an actual part of the electrical circuit as it was in decades past. Thus the attempt to hit the circuit with a full cycle and diagnose the result and then set the clipping timing is just the same as the fancier switches like the Caseta and RadioRA2, even though the Diva is a "dumb" switch.]

Dealing with turning flash

Let me preface with saying that I am a retired engineer, how you use my advice is entirely up to you. Follow your local electrical codes and use a professional to do the work.

I have a solution to the flash at turn on, then a pause with no light, then the lights come up to the programmed brightness. This generally happens after the lights have been off for more than half an hour. I will describe how I came up with the solution so you can investigate your situation.

If you add in incandescent bulb in parallel to the leds (just wired in like normal) you will probable find the lights work okay. Of course you don’t want this, so I started substituting in resistors until the problem reoccurred. In my system, a 100,000 ohm 2 watt resistor from the switched output of the dimmer to neutral was what worked for me. The power dissipated in the resistor with the lights on is around 1/8 watt, so this is overkill, but I didn’t want any problems. The resistor can go in the switch box, or in any one of the light fixtures across the bulb.terminals.

In my case I soldered stranded wires to the resistor, and covered everything in heat-shrink tubing, tinned the wires and installed the assembly in the switch box. There are many options, but it depends on your local code.

My hypothesis is that the dimmer needs a teeny-tiny amount of current from the neutral and an led in the off condition cannot supply it. I measured many megohms for an off led bulb. I was surprised that 100k worked, since it is a pretty high value as well. As a reference, a 15 watt incandescent is around 1000 ohms.

7. Thanks GCondrey103 thanked for this post
    First, sorry about the typos. I just cannot edit my own work. Second, I cannot stress that if you don’t know how to calculate power in a resistor, do not experiment. If you don’t have the knowledge and ability, the results can be bad. Hire a professional, it is well worth it.

Thanks for the info. I too am a retired engineer "radio broadcast' and have started replacing my Insteon devices after they shut their doors. My first wall module had this exact problem and I can now understand what is going on and how to deal with it. Thanks for the troubleshooting!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345