Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lights flash when turned on

Thumbs up Caseta dimmer doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by evankirkhart View Post
    @friscovirus- Links are fine. There isn't much Lutron can really do about it. There is some characteristic of the LED driver that causes this. Have you tried a different LED? Try replacing with incandescents. I would also try adjusting the low-end trim. I've found that LEDs on the Lutron list are often better with dimming performance, their being on the list doesn't guarantee perfect performance. Manufacturers change driver design all the time. In general, you most often get what you pay for. You could also try using the PD-5NE ELV dimmer. There is no standardization of compatibility between LED and dimmer, so it's somewhat of a crapshoot. Hope this helps!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>Lutron should not be charging $60 for dimmer with a wireless remote that is advertised as easy to install and it just works. It doesn't **just work**. Took me three minutes to install it. Took me one minute to verify that it didn't work, blinking CFL's. Took me five minutes to find this forum and determine that this is a common problem. Took me three minutes to uninstall it and put back my on-off switch. Took me three minutes in the return line at Home Depot to get a full refund. Good thing I had to go to Home Depot anyway, otherwise I would be upset. Total investment = 15 minutes. There may be ways to modify the dimmer as outlined in this (and other threads) with an MLC but that is the kind of thing I expect to do in my day job. It's just not worth my time to fuss with something that: 1) should have worked out of the box, 2) has minimal utility, and 3) a high error rate. Shame on Lutron for false advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by friscovirus View Post
    This is the issue i am having not sure if the links are allowed or not but i feel like Lutron should come up with the solution since it is happening to most of us. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUUvmHhg4Q4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RG1Qcy_VU4 Solution anyone?
    I have this same problem, just received and installed LUT-MLC. It worked to eliminate the on/off flash when first turned on.
    However, there's buzzing from LUT-MLC itself when on and dimming. Lights slightly buzz now too, where previously didn't.
    Unfortunately it didn't resolve the flashing when off for my PD-5ANS :(

Four years of this?

I'm stunned this issue has been going on for four years. I just recently had an electrician install the system and my lights flash when first turned on too. This seems like something Lutron should've addressed with so many complaints. I'm surprised there hasn't been a class-action started.

Maestro C.L. With Compatible Bulbs, Lights Flash When Turned On in Lowest Dim Setting

I just installed Maestro C.L. Dimmers in all circuits of a new construction. All bulbs are LED but there are a variety of bulbs and fixtures throughout the house. When a circuit is fully dimmed and then shut off, the next time it is turned on the lights flash in a strobe until the dimmer level is played with and the circuit stabilizes. Other than increasing the lowest dim setting, are there any other ways of circumventing this issue? For the price of these units and bulbs, I was hoping I could utilize the full Dim spectrum without defects like this... Or at least set it such that when initially turning on it goes to half dim instead of low dim to circumvent the startup issue. Would be unfortunate to not be able to dim to lowest setting during use.

Authorized Lutron Contributor

Lightbulb Addressing LED Compatibility with Lutron Dimming Controls

Hello All,We appreciate all of the posts and feedback regarding LED compatibility issues with Lutron dimming controls. Unfortunately, there is very little industry standardization to how LED's are being manufactured at the moment and as such there are frequent changes made to LED products by the manufacturer that change their overall performance when a dimming signal is applied to them. We have an entire team here at Lutron that does nothing but tests LED's against our dimming controls so we can provide as many recommendations for compatible LED's as possible to our customers. They keep our online LED Compatibility Tool @ www.Lutron.com/LEDFinder up to date with the latest tested and passing lamps as well as removing ones that have been identified to have characteristics changed about the lamp itself from when we tested it here at Lutron. If there is ever an LED lamp that is listed on our online compatibility tool that is being utilized with the listed dimmer that is not performing adequately, we would advise either calling in to our 24/7 technical support group @ 1-888-Lutron1 (588-7661) or email in to LEDS@Lutron.com with the information on the LED lamp and dimming control being used. The best way to determine if there is a functional issue with the Lutron dimmer or if LED compatibility is taking place would be to remove just one of the LED lamps and replace with an incandescent or halogen lamp. If this stabilizes the dimming of the remaining LED lamps it confirms there is an incompatibility between the LED lamp and Lutron dimmer. If the issue remains with the incandescent or halogen lamp in place, there is a good chance there is something up with the dimmer, in which case we would advise giving us a call here at Lutron technical support for us to process and RMA for a replacement dimmer. We appreciate the continued interest in Lutron dimming and switching controls and look forward to assisting with any issues that may arise with our products. Thanks,Justin F. (Lutron Technical Support)

I finally was able to find a solution that worked for me. I initially bought a pack of 4 Torchstar 6 inch 5k LED bulbs of AMAZON and tested it out for few weeks. No more blinking issues on a cold start. Replaced 2 more rooms today and no Issues so far on cold starts. Fingers crossed. Just have to order 16 more bulbs thought. Arghhh its a pricy project.

Well I just went through this myself. My first two installs went great (first with Sylvania LEDs, the next with Sunbeam LEDs). The third one had the flash issue (Sylvania, Luminus, and Sunbeam). I tried reinstalling the switch, and reprogramming/resetting. The flash was always evident using the Luminus and Sunbeam brands. The Sylvania would only flash with the Lutron App and Pico remote.After reading this thread, it ultimately it came down to the light bulbs. Now I'm just rethinking which switches to replace. For any Canadians out there, try the Philips dimmable 8.8W LED replacements at Home Depot.

I was experiencing the same problem with the newly installed PD-6WCL dimmer operating three Luminus 60W dimmable LEDs from COSTCO. I thought it was a defective switch but before switching it out with a spare I had, I decided to do a search online to see if this was a common issue which landed me here. I have the same setup in two other rooms, same switch, same number of Luminus bulbs. Never thought they would be an issue since I didn't notice them before. I checked them and sure enough they did it too. It had to be the bulbs then. I had some Sylvania 60W LED dimmables, so tried them. Still had the same problem. Since the LEDs are low power compared to the incandescent equivalent, I figured it had to be a low current startup issue. I replaced one of the LED bulbs with a 60W incandescent to draw more current on startup, and it worked. I thought to leave it in this configuration but the intensity and color didn't look right. The LUT-MLC is a capacitor recommended by Lutron for low powered devices to increase the load enough for the PD-6WCL to operate properly, IMO. I had some spare LUT-MLCs kicking around, so I installed one at the light base, removed the incandescent and put the LED bulb back in. Sure enough, it worked. I have now done it to two of three rooms. Will do the last room soon, when I can get some more LUT-MLC.Why doesn't Lutron include these LUT-MLC in all the dimmer packages....P.S. BTW, I have had a PD-6WCL working fine in the ensuite for over a year on dimmable LEDs. The reason I never had a problem there is I am running six 60W LEDs. Master bedroom on three 100W LEDs with no problem either. It would be nice to know what the minimum current load needs to be for this switch to operate properly.

New Dimmer with Brightech Outdoor LED String Lights

I have multiple Caseta dimmers in our home and have been happy. Today I added a dimmer to our outdoor led string lights (2W Edison bulbs). When I operate the lights from the switch, they work great. When I use the app (android) they flash on and off (about 1.5 sec) continuously. If I use the app and just bring them up with the dimmer, they seem to work fine. I tried adjusting the upper level, but that didn't seem to help. Looking for a solve.

Quote Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
    I had a similar problem. Despite using compatible Halo recessed can LED lighting, in rooms where 4 cans were controlled by a single RR2-CL dimmer, I would get the single flash followed by the ramp up to desired brightness.I fixed the problem by increasing the Fade On Rate from the default .75 seconds to 2 seconds. (Fade On Rate is accessed by right-clicking on the dimmer switch under the Design tab, then selecting Advanced Settings) The longer fade on time is hardly noticeable and the lights go on smoothly now.
    I have the same issue throughout my house. I installed Caseta's everywhere (had to get two hubs), having no idea RadioRA2 or their more customizable systems are out there at the time. Doh! I have these throughout my house, was fine at first and then after a year now all my lights do the flash on at full power then off then dim on normally. I've only bought bulbs on their compatibility list too! A handful of my boxes don't have neutrals so I don't have a choice to move to the PD-10NXD. I have noticed on some circuits, the pico remotes do not cause it to flash. I have also observed the dimming speed when turning on/off is noticeably different with the pico than the switch, which leads me to believe that flashing can be avoided by timing, as noted in the quote above. Note that my guess is the switches leak voltage to keep the wireless circuit active, which charges up the caps in your LED bulbs hence why they flash at full power initially. If Lutron would just allow you to change the dim time on the Caseta (perhaps a setting in the app could change this), I believe this would solve the problem completely!!! It would be nice because some rooms I have their PD-6 which is instant on/off and lights on the dimmer and that would allow the timing to match between these two switches as well. I don't get why it would be a big deal for Lutron to allow this...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast