Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Where are all the LV LED recessed retrofit fixtures

Where are all the LV LED recessed retrofit fixtures

Hi All

I'm a fairly new Lutron dealer. Moving house in a few weeks and want to install about 8 recessed can lights. Traditionally, i'd use something like a halo 6" retrofit can. I figured that with the demise of LED and because the LCS will be new, might as well look at LED instead of incandescents.

I'm having real problems finding LED recessed lights. there are ton that screw into the old 120v fixture, but I;d be very concerned about the ability to dim those well. (anyone know any different?)

Wondering what everyone else is doing? Are you using LED/CFL? I want something that dims perfectly like an incandescent

Thanks

mark

Quote Originally Posted by mark2457 View Post
    Hi All

I'm a fairly new Lutron dealer. Moving house in a few weeks and want to install about 8 recessed can lights. Traditionally, i'd use something like a halo 6" retrofit can. I figured that with the demise of LED and because the LCS will be new, might as well look at LED instead of incandescents.

I'm having real problems finding LED recessed lights. there are ton that screw into the old 120v fixture, but I;d be very concerned about the ability to dim those well. (anyone know any different?)

Wondering what everyone else is doing? Are you using LED/CFL? I want something that dims perfectly like an incandescent

Thanks

mark

That last line is pretty loaded. You can find a lot of LEDs that dim but 'perfectly like an incandescent' depends on the observer.
    As far as recessed lights, I've been on jobs using WAC, Cooper, Lucifer. I've used Ivalo but they don't make a retrofit. Read the specs and make sure you use a neutral dimmer. I think the WAC was probably the best bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    That last line is pretty loaded. You can find a lot of LEDs that dim but 'perfectly like an incandescent' depends on the observer.
    As far as recessed lights, I've been on jobs using WAC, Cooper, Lucifer. I've used Ivalo but they don't make a retrofit. Read the specs and make sure you use a neutral dimmer. I think the WAC was probably the best bang for the buck.
    Thanks for reply

LED recessed lights last practically forever. Led recessed lights are perfect for ambient lighting. Every electric lighting fixture is rated for the maximum wattage of the incandescent light bulb or bulbs that you can safely use in it. Most recessed fixtures are rated for 75 or 100 watt bulbs.

Check out the product selection tool at lutron.com/led. Some of the options and model numbers are dated, however those same manufacturers will have updated lines. It will give you a place to start.

As mentioned, Lutron have their own recessed option called Ivalo. Additionally, there are a number of manufacturers of recessed fixtures that have LED lines available, including retrofit housings.

Replacement lamps are another option, and they have come a long way since they were originally released some years ago. We have been using Philips with success. They have PAR and BR lamps available.