Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philips Hue connection via Smart Birdge?

Philips Hue connection via Smart Birdge?

Hi,

I am about to purchase 3 Caseta in-wall dimmers and 7 Pico Remotes (wall mounted) to upgrade my condo.

In 4 instances, I want the Pico remote to control Philips Hue lightbulbs. It seems that I will be able to do it via the Wink hub, but I want wondering if the Smart Bridge could also do it, providing faster/more reliable connection.

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Gui

Smart Bridge does not talk ZigBee, you would need either an integration software or multi protocol hub.

Wouldn't Staples Connect be a better option than Wink?

3. Thanks Kevin P. thanked for this post
    Turns out that via the Wink Hub, the Lutron Pico remote can only control Lutron devices (in-wall dimmer & Lamp dimmer), no control of Philips Hue or other devices is possible.

I know that the Lutron Smart Bridge won't allow interoperability with Philips Hue. Any chance with Smartthings or Staples D-link?

I just bought 3 Lutron in wall dimmers + 5 Pico remote + 5 wall mounts for Pico and several Claro wall plates. I am now planning to return them this week at HomeDepot if I can't control my Philips Hue lights.

This is very disappointing. I thought the whole point of a hub was to connect devices between different vendors.

No wonder. You couldn't have picked the worse hub even if you tried. Even devices which are made for Wink do not work every time -
    http://gizmodo.com/why-is-my-smart-h...umb-1684949715

This guy says you can do what you want with Staples -
    http://zatznotfunny.com/2014-07/home...t-drops-to-50/

Edit: Forgot to mention - you can also use
    http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/the-range/hue-tap/

Looks like SmartThings is also a good option -
    http://community.smartthings.com/t/w...rience/3124/97

Currently I am not really using the Wink. It was a cheap deal at HomeDepot Canada and I knew that it wasn't the best. I don't plan to get any Quirky product as I don't want to be locked with 1 Hub manufacturer for the years to come.

I do have one Hue Tap, and it is a neat gadget, but not to mount on the walls throughout my condo. I really wanted to use the Lutron Caseta line. I can still use it for my non-connected LED lights and wait for the Staples D-Link to be available in Canada or try the SmartThings. I am pretty sure that I'll go through a few hubs over the next few months/years.

That said, once again, I am very disappointed by the Lutron/Wink integration.

Thanks,

If you want to control AV in your home in addition to some lighting you might consider roomieremote that runs on IOS. You will need to buy the Pro version of the lutron hub to get Caseta working with Roomieremote.

It works very well with Caseta and also supports HUE. ( I use it with 18 dimmers/switch and Picos).

I personally prefer physical remotes/switches. For AV control linked with Caseta, I would most likely go with the Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home. http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/produc...e-home?crid=60

Quote Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post
    It works very well with Caseta and also supports HUE. ( I use it with 18 dimmers/switch and Picos).
    While technically it works, it is royal pain to set up. Complete absence of documentation does not help either. So much wasted potential...

I agree about the lack of documentation and for a new user it will likely be intimidating but once you have a "feel" for the system its not difficult. Sometimes you need to search the forum or contact tech support. I like Roomie because I can put the controls where I want them and in the order I want them. I also like the fact that there is virtually no delay connecting and controlling lights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast