Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED tape lights for RadioRA 2 and GrafikEye QS

LED tape lights for RadioRA 2 and GrafikEye QS

We're using RadioRA 2 with RRD-6NA dimmers. Looking to put about 5ft of LED tape light under a cabinet. Do I need an LED driver such as the Hi-lume with this dimmer? Are there dimmable LED strips that work with the 6NA without a driver?

Also installing a GrafikEye QS in the home theater and planning to do LED tape/strip/rope light on the riser steps. This would be a very small load, probably less than 5W. Would this light also require another LED driver such as the Hi-lume? GrafikEye QS has a 25W minimum, so would that be an issue with these step lights? Would I need to use a synthetic load module to make this work?

driver

Quote Originally Posted by ultravelocity View Post
    We're using RadioRA 2 with RRD-6NA dimmers. Looking to put about 5ft of LED tape light under a cabinet. Do I need an LED driver such as the Hi-lume with this dimmer? Are there dimmable LED strips that work with the 6NA without a driver?

Also installing a GrafikEye QS in the home theater and planning to do LED tape/strip/rope light on the riser steps. This would be a very small load, probably less than 5W. Would this light also require another LED driver such as the Hi-lume? GrafikEye QS has a 25W minimum, so would that be an issue with these step lights? Would I need to use a synthetic load module to make this work?

Most LED light strips are low voltage so you will likely need a driver to convert the 120VAC to DC.

Eric

3. Thanks ultravelocity thanked for this post
    Pete F.
    @ultravelocity: Thank you for your post. trx250r87 is correct, you would need to use drivers. In the first applictation, you could use our LTEA4U1UKL-CV240(for 24v LEDs) or our LTEA4U1UKL-AV120(for 12v LEDs) drivers. Both of these can be controlled with an RRD-6NA. In the second application, our drivers have a minimum load of 5W required. Using a synthetic load, like an LUT-LBX can help you meet that minimum load.

5. Thanks ultravelocity thanked for this post
    Likes dvpvic liked this post
    Pete F.
    @ultravelocity: Correction, you would not be able to use the LUT-LBX as it cannot be used on DC voltage. I apologize for any confusion.

Can anyone recommend a brand of LED strip lights, for under-cabinet lighting, to be dimmed with RA2?

I've heard that WAC InvisiLED is an option - but not on the list.

Thanks in advance.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Good morning Neurorad,

At this point in time Lutron has not conducted any testing on the WACunder cabinet LED product you are inquiring about. Without test data we are unable to recommend a dimmer since we cannot guarantee the performance that you will experience with our controls. In the event that you are locked into this LED, we would suggest contacting WAC lighting to see if they have tested and can recommend Radio RA2 controls for use with their product.

If you have a Radio RA2 system and are flexible to specifying another under cabinet light, we would suggest using our Lutron Lumaris LED’s and Driver combination. You would use an RRD-10ND to control the 2wire version of our LED Driver. This set-up will allow you to dim for 100% all the way down to 1%.

Lumaris brochure: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/3672466.pdf

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I used elemental led with magnetic drivers on couple of projects, worked ok. They used to have a sample kit with various LED strips so that you can test it out before ordering - not sure if it is still available.

http://www.elementalled.com/

I very much appreciate both rec's.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R. View Post
    Good morning Neurorad,

At this point in time Lutron has not conducted any testing on the WACunder cabinet LED product you are inquiring about. Without test data we are unable to recommend a dimmer since we cannot guarantee the performance that you will experience with our controls. In the event that you are locked into this LED, we would suggest contacting WAC lighting to see if they have tested and can recommend Radio RA2 controls for use with their product.

If you have a Radio RA2 system and are flexible to specifying another under cabinet light, we would suggest using our Lutron Lumaris LED’s and Driver combination. You would use an RRD-10ND to control the 2wire version of our LED Driver. This set-up will allow you to dim for 100% all the way down to 1%.

Lumaris brochure: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ry/3672466.pdf

Please let me know if you have any questions.
    The Lutron Lumaris undercabinet LED system looks outstanding, in every respect - except cost. If price were no object, I'd definitely use that. Based on a lot of online research, nothing compares to the Lumaris CRI 95 [typical] rating.

I can't find any/many reputable manufacturers that offer high CRI undercabinet LEDs, with diffusers.

A search of the Lutron LED compatible list brings up 3 manufacturers, of cove lights. Other than Lumaris, highest CRI is 85.

Maybe in a few years other manufacturers will catch up with Lutron, currently not there yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast