Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2ANF and BigAssFan Haiku / EC Motors

2ANF and BigAssFan Haiku / EC Motors

I've got a customer who purchased a bunch of BigAssFan Haiku models (60" and 84" without the SenseMe addon) and wants to control them. Doing a bit of research it looks like they still run at 120v but they use EC Motors vs a split capacitive (what I was told by Lutron support was what was supported). Has anyone either tried to use a 2ANF on these fans or another fan that used an EC Motor? I can't get out there to test it myself yet and won't be able to for a while so I figured I would check up here to see if anyone has.

It looks like it probably won't work especially with their comment of "Do not use the fan with a dimmer switch." in the install manual

So I did a bit more research and found a colleague who had purchased a few of these for himself. The RF controller is extremely integrated into the fan and there is no way to remove or bypass it. The way the circuitry inside is setup there is very little chance these fans will work. I'm not going to go crazy trying to test or figure this out as the research I have done so far has pretty much stated it won't work.

Fan Woes

Quote Originally Posted by olympustechgroup View Post
    So I did a bit more research and found a colleague who had purchased a few of these for himself. The RF controller is extremely integrated into the fan and there is no way to remove or bypass it. The way the circuitry inside is setup there is very little chance these fans will work. I'm not going to go crazy trying to test or figure this out as the research I have done so far has pretty much stated it won't work.
    More and more fan MFGs are integrating RF control of on/off/speed/light into the board sealed in the motor case. What's more, is the installation docs and cut sheets are not keeping pace with the change, wherein documentation indicates separate fan and light control with canopy mounted controls, but the fan is not actually built as shown.

Best to make contingency plans for fan control that do not use the traditional solutions we've had in the past.