Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can I dim...?

Can I dim...?

I'm planning the remaining switches for my house and wanted to know whether I can dim these types of lights:

• Under-cabinet lights -- I believe they're halogen but they might also be xenon
    • Incandescent rope lighting for a tray ceiling -- I believe the lights plug into an outlet in the tray and the switch controls the outlet

Thanks!

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lutron Technical Support
    If the under cabinet lights are 120v incandescent or halogen, you can control them with the standard PD-6WCL dimmer.
    If they are low voltage lights, we don't have a Caseta dimmer that can control low voltage yet.

For the rope lighting, we could switch those lights with the PD-5WS switch. If you are looking to dim them, I would really recommend using the PD-3PCL plug-in dimmer instead of using a wall mount dimmer to control the receptacle, as someone could plug a TV or vacuum cleaner into the outlet and damage the dimmer or the device plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    For the rope lighting, we could switch those lights with the PD-5WS switch. If you are looking to dim them, I would really recommend using the PD-3PCL plug-in dimmer instead of using a wall mount dimmer to control the receptacle, as someone could plug a TV or vacuum cleaner into the outlet and damage the dimmer or the device plugged in.
    The receptacle is in the tray ceiling, so I don't think there's much fear of someone plugging anything into that receptacle. Originally I was going to use PD-5WS switch, but I figured if I could use the PD-6WCL dimmer, why not? It's cheaper, it dims, and it looks like the rest of my switches.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by asherrick View Post
    The receptacle is in the tray ceiling, so I don't think there's much fear of someone plugging anything into that receptacle. Originally I was going to use PD-5WS switch, but I figured if I could use the PD-6WCL dimmer, why not? It's cheaper, it dims, and it looks like the rest of my switches.
    We can't stop you from doing what you want to do. It's just from it being a possible electrical code issue, Lutron can't recommend you do that.