Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Combination of incandescent/ LED on ELV dimmer

Combination of incandescent/ LED on ELV dimmer

I have recently installed some Cree led trims and cans in a bedroom that had a ceiling fan on the existing switch. The way it is wired the light kit of the ceiling fan, which has 3 incandescent lamps, and the 3 led trims are controlled by the same dimmer, a lutron DV600pwh. I am having an issue with the trims making a humming noise and it seems as though many others have had luck using a diva electronic low voltage dimmer to silence these trims. To my knowledge incandescent lamps aren't picky, for lack of a better term, with their type of dimming. Would it be okay to use an electronic low voltage dimmer to dim both types of lighting?

Thanks for any input

Pete F.
    @bma sparky. Our ELV dimmers would have no issues controlling incandescent and LEDs at the same time.

Thanks Pete. One more question. How much should the LED trims count against the 300W limit of the dimmer. I have heard that you should multiply the wattage by 4, is that correct. I have 4- 12.5 watt trims and 3- 60 watt incandescent lamps so I think i am okay there.

Pete F.
    @bma sparky. As the in rush that LEDs experience varies, we tend to be pretty conservative with our estimates. With that in mind, I agree that you should be fine in your application however, we would not be able to guarantee dimming performance as it has not been tested.