Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Strange Issues on Multi-Location Dimmers

Strange Issues on Multi-Location Dimmers

Hi everyone,

im having a couple issues on some dimmers I never gave before, and I wondered if you might have any thoughts.

Unit 1
    This is a RRD-6NA with one RD-RD. 5 - 12W LED cans are being driven from the approved list in the Lutron tested forward phase. The dimmer operates properly on its own as it has before, but a new issue just popped up despite no wiring changes: The RD-RD doesn't seem to change the dimming level and won't switch on or off. Presses on it does anything. However, pulling the air gap on the RD-RD does turn off the cans. Ideas what might be going on? It worked as expected since it was put in a year ago.

Unit 2
    This is a RRD-6NA with one RD-RD as well. 9 - 12W LED LED type A are being driven from the approved list in the Lutron tested forward phase. This was just put in as a retrofit from non-Lutron switches, but the 3-way worked fine, In this case, only the RD-RD is able to make adjustments. Button presses or dimmer rocker does nothing on 6NA, and get this, pulling the air gap on the 6NA doesn't turn off the lights or even cut power from the LED indicators on the 6NA itself! If you pull the air gap on the RD-RD, the indicator lights go out on the 6NA. What do you think is happening? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
    Hi everyone,

im having a couple issues on some dimmers I never gave before, and I wondered if you might have any thoughts.

Unit 1
    This is a RRD-6NA with one RD-RD. 5 - 12W LED cans are being driven from the approved list in the Lutron tested forward phase. The dimmer operates properly on its own as it has before, but a new issue just popped up despite no wiring changes: The RD-RD doesn't seem to change the dimming level and won't switch on or off. Presses on it does anything. However, pulling the air gap on the RD-RD does turn off the cans. Ideas what might be going on? It worked as expected since it was put in a year ago.

Unit 2
    This is a RRD-6NA with one RD-RD as well. 9 - 12W LED LED type A are being driven from the approved list in the Lutron tested forward phase. This was just put in as a retrofit from non-Lutron switches, but the 3-way worked fine, In this case, only the RD-RD is able to make adjustments. Button presses or dimmer rocker does nothing on 6NA, and get this, pulling the air gap on the 6NA doesn't turn off the lights or even cut power from the LED indicators on the 6NA itself! If you pull the air gap on the RD-RD, the indicator lights go out on the 6NA. What do you think is happening? Thanks!
    Did you try throwing parts at it? If there is no chance someone changed the wiring, I would swap out the RD-RD and see what happens. It sounds like the RD-RD is broken with Unit 1. Unit 2 is very strange. I would guess that these 2 locations may not have been wired properly, but if you think these 2 areas worked 100% in the past it's time to check if someone tried rewiring the devices and then try new RDs. You should probably bring spares for all 4 devices and check operation as single-poles before verifying wiring and adding the RDs to the system.

Thanks! I haven't yet, but absent other thoughts here, I thought I'd just check the wiring and try replacements.

i was blown away to see the Unit 2 as described - not turning off when the air gap was pulled!

Anyone else seen these devices behaving like either mentioned?

Hi everyone,

Unit 1

Unit 2
    I had a similar issue as UNIT1 in my garage. A wire must have broke when I pushed the RD-RD back into the box.

Eric

5. Thanks schalliol thanked for this post
    Thanks! I haven't yet, but absent other thoughts here, I thought I'd just check the wiring and try replacements.

i was blown away to see the Unit 2 as described - not turning off when the air gap was pulled!

Anyone else seen these devices behaving like either mentioned?
    This sounds like the dimmer and remote are reversed. Remotes on the Line side, dimmers on the Load side (ie- remotes come before the dimmer and only pass the power through on the black wire, signal on the red). Trying swapping them and see what happens.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

7. Thanks schalliol thanked for this post
    Thanks for your thoughts, folks! Indeed SanDiegoRep's thoughts and Eric's make sense.