Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Caseta Dimmers + Somfy Z-Wave Integration (Bali Blinds)

Caseta Dimmers + Somfy Z-Wave Integration (Bali Blinds)

Hi All,

Purchased the Wink Relay and Hub to integrate my Caseta Dimmers and Bali Blinds. Bali Blinds are run through the Somfy Z-Wave hub to connect with the Wink Hub.

Major downside they don't mention is that the Wink is 100% over the internet - press Relay on wall, uses your WiFi router to go out to servers, then back in your router to communicate to your light switches. Wink says the delay is up to 15 seconds standard, and they don't plan to resolve with LAN connection.

I need a local solution so I can press a button on the wall switch and it will instantly switched the Caseta lights on/off and the Somfy Z-Wave (Bali Blinds).

Anyone had any success doing this? Possibly the Staples Connect hub as it lists Z-Wave support but does not specifically state it will support the Somfy hub.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx
    http://www.amazon.com/Somfy-Channel-.../dp/B00HSOMH0M

Quote Originally Posted by jackhome View Post
    Hi All,

Purchased the Wink Relay and Hub to integrate my Caseta Dimmers and Bali Blinds. Bali Blinds are run through the Somfy Z-Wave hub to connect with the Wink Hub.

Major downside they don't mention is that the Wink is 100% over the internet - press Relay on wall, uses your WiFi router to go out to servers, then back in your router to communicate to your light switches. Wink says the delay is up to 15 seconds standard, and they don't plan to resolve with LAN connection.

I need a local solution so I can press a button on the wall switch and it will instantly switched the Caseta lights on/off and the Somfy Z-Wave (Bali Blinds).

Anyone had any success doing this? Possibly the Staples Connect hub as it lists Z-Wave support but does not specifically state it will support the Somfy hub.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx
    http://www.amazon.com/Somfy-Channel-.../dp/B00HSOMH0M
    Wow, I never realized how bad the wink is. I got one for a dollar on black friday last year, played with it a bit and got back to the SBP (I thought the range on the wink was specially bad), but I never realized how slow it was. I guess having the relay go through the server instead of directly talking to the hub is a major bottleneck, but the same is true of every hub/bridge currently on the market, and they're not that slow.

My guess is that the staples works the same way. If the Wink Relay even works with the staples, that is. And using IFTTT won't help, it's the same process, but IFTTT is notoriously slow.

If you haven't bought the Bali blinds yet, you might wanna check the serena shades and get a smart bridge. That's the setup I have and the response from the app to the bridge (which also goes over the internet even if you're on the same LAN) is about 2-3 seconds. Annoying considering it could be in the milisecond range if it didn't leave your LAN, but nowhere near as bad as the wink. When I use telnet the response is so fast I can't humanely consider there is a delay.

3. Likes SDR-Mike liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVince View Post
    Wow, I never realized how bad the wink is. I got one for a dollar on black friday last year, played with it a bit and got back to the SBP (I thought the range on the wink was specially bad), but I never realized how slow it was. I guess having the relay go through the server instead of directly talking to the hub is a major bottleneck, but the same is true of every hub/bridge currently on the market, and they're not that slow.

My guess is that the staples works the same way. If the Wink Relay even works with the staples, that is. And using IFTTT won't help, it's the same process, but IFTTT is notoriously slow.

If you haven't bought the Bali blinds yet, you might wanna check the serena shades and get a smart bridge. That's the setup I have and the response from the app to the bridge (which also goes over the internet even if you're on the same LAN) is about 2-3 seconds. Annoying considering it could be in the milisecond range if it didn't leave your LAN, but nowhere near as bad as the wink. When I use telnet the response is so fast I can't humanely consider there is a delay.
    To be fair, it is not always at that maximum 15 second range - usually 2 - 3 seconds. But their support won't help within 15 seconds as that is normal operating range. Its just a huge step back from traditional light switches. They are instant. Its very odd that companies think this is acceptable.

With automation though, I was in a Wynn hotel and one button push on the wall opened the blinds and brought up the lights instantly, this is what we are trying to re-create.

Quote Originally Posted by jackhome View Post
    To be fair, it is not always at that maximum 15 second range - usually 2 - 3 seconds. But their support won't help within 15 seconds as that is normal operating range. Its just a huge step back from traditional light switches. They are instant. Its very odd that companies think this is acceptable.

With automation though, I was in a Wynn hotel and one button push on the wall opened the blinds and brought up the lights instantly, this is what we are trying to re-create.
    That's what I have in my home. I can't really explain all the details here cause I'm using custom HW and SW, but one thing that will get you much closer is to use only lutron or only zwave stuff. Don't mix them, it'll be easyer. And in general, try to avoid the wink stuff. It's just my opinion, but I don't think it's quality stuff. There's a reason the wink hub is sold for only 50$ (and sometimes as little as 1$) while a SBP is 3X as expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVince View Post
    And in general, try to avoid the wink stuff. It's just my opinion, but I don't think it's quality stuff. There's a reason the wink hub is sold for only 50$ (and sometimes as little as 1$) while a SBP is 3X as expensive.
    Hi TheVince. It's been a while since you posted anything on this forum. Are you still around?