Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Some help automating stairway and hallway lighting? (occupancy - motion)

Some help automating stairway and hallway lighting? (occupancy - motion)

Hello all. I Would like to automate the lighting in our stairway, and separately, the upstairs hallway. As the only automation I can imagine wanting is- On when occupied, and Off shortly after vacancy, the controls don't have to be "smart" controls and tie into the Caseta system or any other systems. I am thinking something from the Maestro line, but am open to other solutions. The bottom of the stairway will be ganged with 2 Caseta dimmers, so complimenting aesthetics has me looking for a Lutron control. I would prefer to be able to manually override/control the switch though.

Stairway- Currently a 3way with a standard switch at the top and one at the bottom of a straight flight of stairs. I would like motion/occupancy at both the top and bottom so the light comes on when the stairway is approached. Can you wire 2 of these into a 3way circuit? Also, I would like to be able to reduce the sensitivity of these down to about 4-6 feet. As both locations point toward some traffic areas that are used when not using the stairway.

Hallway- Currently 3 standard switches in a 4way (i suppose) circuit. 1 switch at each end, and another in the middle. I would use the middle location for the sensor, but it is sometimes blocked by a closet door left open. The switch at one end "looks" straight down the hallway on a perpendicular wall. The switch at the other end is side on and "looks" into a bedroom so isn't a very good location. I'm not sure what to do with this hallway. I don't think I need multiple occupancy switches, but can I replace just one of the switches? What happens when someone activates one of the old switches?

Maestro Wireless works with Radio Powr Savr sensors. There is a RPS sensor designed for long, narrow hallways as well as a ceiling mounted sensor (all battery operated).
    http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../Overview.aspx

There is a series of Maestro dimmers and switches with built-in sensors. They are more economical and may work for your application.
    http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products.../overview.aspx

Both allow you to turn the lights on/off manually. They do offer some override features. You will need to read through the specs and see if it is what you are looking for.
    Convergence Technologies Raleigh, North Carolina
    www.convergenceusa.com

Thanks Randy. For aesthetic reasons I would hope to accomplish this with the in switch sensors. If I needed to use external sensors, I'd take back what I said about not needing "smart" compatibility here and would want those sensors to be available to the other smart home systems as well. I don't think the Maestro sensors are. And it seems a significantly more expensive route to automating these simple areas.

im having a hard time figuring out if I can really use a Lurton sensor switch at both the top and bottom of the stairs in a 3way situation. It seems I may be able to with other companies, but it's looking like not with Lurton?

Looking further into it I'm surprised I'm not finding many solutions out there. This seems like a very common and basic home application for automation.

The in-wall sensor does support multiple locations. However, the sensor can only be located at one point with a companion device at the others.

The RPS sensors work with several Lutron residential and commercial systems. There have been some rumors about them being added to Caseta but nothing official.
    www.convergenceusa.com

For the hallway- An in-wall sensor, at one end of a narrow hallway, pointed straight down the hallway. In actual use, how far away would it pick up someone entering the hall at the other end?

For the stairway- If I end up having to go with an external sensor, I guess I'll just swap to Caseta/pico and a Homekit sensor that would be available to other systems.

So.. The stairway. Further internet reading seems to confirm that I can NOT use 2 Lutron in-wall occupancy switches for this application, and would have to go the significantly more expensive, less aesthetic route of Maestro wireless, companion, and separate sensor.

But looking around, it appears that a combination of Leviton IPS15-1LZ and IPV0R-1LZ would give me exactly what I'm looking for, provided the required wiring is in the wall boxes. How do Leviton switches fit/look in a Claro wall plate?

I love Lutron and the Caseta stuff, but this really seems like a hole in the product line.

Those are Decora devices which will fit in a Claro plate.
    www.convergenceusa.com