Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RA2 Main Repeater - POE support

RA2 Main Repeater - POE support

The main repeater needs support for POE (Power Over Ethernet). In trying to locate it for best coverage, there may not be AC power but Ethernet available. I have used POE splitters - but this is not as clean of an install as internal POE support.

2. Likes schalliol, Bktay, ben.berding, dvpvic liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gwaites View Post
    The main repeater needs support for POE (Power Over Ethernet). In trying to locate it for best coverage, there may not be AC power but Ethernet available. I have used POE splitters - but this is not as clean of an install as internal POE support.
    I agree. When you used the POE splitter, do you think its the 7-8 brown pair that can have power sent down it and the brown pair left out before terminating rj45 at the repeater?
    Last edited by dvpvic; 02-11-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Qoute

The main repeaters are pretty good at providing coverage, often beyond the range stated in the documentation. What are you running into that's causing placement issue? That wouldn't, potentially, be better served with an aux repeater instead?

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    The main repeaters are pretty good at providing coverage, often beyond the range stated in the documentation. What are you running into that's causing placement issue? That wouldn't, potentially, be better served with an aux repeater instead?
    It's not coverage issue, just a clean install with less cords and cables. Homes don't always have outlets in out of sight locations (especially when installing retro), that is unless there is a dedicated equipment room where main RP is usually placed. An auxiliary repeater would also need power so I thought it would be cleaner to install a cat 5 that just hits the device and that's it. Just like my acess points on Poe.

Your right, in my house I'm using a single main on a 2,400 sq ft ranch pad that I placed in a hall closet that never had power, so I had to cut in/fish an outlet in. If they were POE, that wouldn't be the case. Or I could've picked up an Auxiliary RP, but that costs me more.
    Last edited by dvpvic; 02-12-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Typo

In for a penny, as they say... With Lutron gear the goal is reliability and performance quality.

In some situations it's worth considering something like a plastic in-wall box. Like the kind designed for being behind televisions. This gives you RF transparency but with a code-compliant outlet for the transformer. Like the TVBU810 from Arlington (which has a cover available):

You might have to 'cheat' a little and poke the antenna out. But it's a low voltage box and the line voltage is going to be properly contained in it's own single gang box or behind that corner panel.

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind having PoE an option. There'd be the added upside of being able to use centralized battery backup in places with power reliability concerns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TVBU810.jpg  

7. Thanks veeeh thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gwaites View Post
    I am a IT manager and we use a lot of POE devices, I am not sure this would be the best option for RR2. I can see it being used in a real bind, but I would not want to subject the controller to switch reboots and depend on it for power. I always put the controllers on a UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by jdraughn View Post
    I am a IT manager and we use a lot of POE devices, I am not sure this would be the best option for RR2. I can see it being used in a real bind, but I would not want to subject the controller to switch reboots and depend on it for power. I always put the controllers on a UPS.
    That is worth mentioning, but in a bind I would just use an external injector. And I usually install Poe switches on a UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by dvpvic View Post
    That is worth mentioning, but in a bind I would just use an external injector. And I usually install Poe switches on a UPS.
    I agree the POE injector would work well and it could be connected to a UPS as well. It would be nice if Lutron provided this option and would sell the injector or have a list of supported POE+ injectors they approve of. A better option than running power to a remote location as well. This device will do this at 1 amp, might be an option if it provides the current the main repeater needs. http://wifi-texas.com/pdf/WT-AF-12v12w.pdf

I agree it would be nice if Lutron provided a PoE option (here's hoping for a RadioRA 2 V2 Main repeater that uses all peripherals but is effectively like RA 3 by integrating connect hub and more). It only needs 300mA 9V, so PoE splitting sure is an option, and you can get a 9V splitter for maybe $20.

What's the low voltage transformer "Lutron® P/N 369561", is that just the standard AC to low-voltage adapter or is it a transformer from low-voltage to power the repeater? I can't seem to find the part online and am not in front of the AC adapter.

I could see situations where folks might NOT want Connect Bridge connectivity. Preferring, instead, to remain standalone or locally integrated only.

I'd rather have a Connect Bridge that had actual conditional and other logic options.

I think the desire to have PoE ignores the likely reality that in an overwhelming majority of residential installs there's no need for it. You're dealing with hard-wired electrical lighting devices. So dealing with actual wall voltage wiring is already part of the equation. Putting an outlet where the repeater is best situated is trivial by comparison. Besides, there'd have to be low voltage wire pulled for PoE and that's really not going to be any simpler/easier/cheaper than some Romex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast