Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: amazon echo support?

amazon echo support?

amazon has begun delivery of their echo voice recognition gizmo. it already supports Belkin Wemo Philips hue devices. at what point will Lutron devices, specifically Ra2, be supported?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Thank you for this feedback, at this point we do not have a date as to when this will happen with Lutron systems.

Support for this or another voice recognition command interpreter is critical for Lutron. Please don't rest on your laurels. This market is moving fast. Do not be the dinosaur of the automation business. Be an innovator. Stay on top.

4. Likes DavidJ, wvnovice liked this post
    I would absolutely L O V E to get support for Echo. The siri support is excellent from my brief exposure, but Echo is so much better for me because:

a. It's always listening!
    b. I don't have to pick up a device, look for the app, open it and futz with it just to turn a light on.

Don't get me wrong, the scheduling bits of the dimmers is awesome, as are the scenes, but Echo would make accessing devices for instant on/off amazingly convenient.

A better option here would be for them to open up their system to 3rd party software vendors. They could create an API (even basic REST one) and then allow their community to build Echo integration or HomeKit, etc. Lutron is likely not big enough to do all the possible integrations that are going to be wanted.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    Thank you for this feedback, at this point we do not have a date as to when this will happen with Lutron systems.
    Guys, this is so important, so many of my friends are going with Phillips even though they understand its not as good because they want to have the simple ability to say lights on and control their lighting.

It would be a colossal mistake to skip on that opportunity and I urge you to reconsider your stance.

8. Thanks foyetog thanked for this post
    Likes foyetog, DavidJ liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladkatz View Post
    Guys, this is so important, so many of my friends are going with Phillips even though they understand its not as good because they want to have the simple ability to say lights on and control their lighting. It would be a colossal mistake to skip on that opportunity and I urge you to reconsider your stance.
    Agreed. It's sad watching Lutron bringing nothing to market to address these incredibly exciting possibilities. They're leaving a gaping void being filled by demonstrably inferior switch and dimmer products. But while they might not work as well, they're accessible from the devices and systems that customers WANT TO USE TODAY.

10. Likes DavidJ liked this post
    I finally pulled the trigger on a Wink controller. Figured it's not THAT expensive so I'd give it a try. I moved one of my dimmers off the Lutron controller and onto Wink. It's not perfect but I'm hoping they continue to improve the service.

PROS :

- Amazon Echo support!!!!! "Alexa, turn on the back hall". Woo hoo!
    - I can (haven't yet) add additional sensors to control lighting, like turning on all the lights in and around the barn if the door opens between midnight and five am.

CONS:

- Can't seem to schedule lights!
    - Can't seem to be able to dim lights!
    - The Lutron controller seems to have better range. Wink claims only 30 ft, which is awful.
    - A device belongs to a single controller at once and neither controller is perfect.

Sorry, I stand corrected. I am in fact able to dim my casetas with the Wink controller and I'm also able to schedule them. The Lutron controller's looking considerably less attractive to me now. I'll have to test Wink with the dimmers in barn that are the farthest away.

Thumbs up Caseta/Echo

Quote Originally Posted by Bailar View Post
    Support for this or another voice recognition command interpreter is critical for Lutron. Please don't rest on your laurels. This market is moving fast. Do not be the dinosaur of the automation business. Be an innovator. Stay on top.
    Amen but I don't see them making necessary moves. Thinking about switching all of my Caseta devices out to more widely compatible devices. Was surprised that the Siri integration requires me to buy a new hub. The price of the Lutron home automated switches are also decreasingly competitive and the others such as WIWO are delivering the same function at half the cost.

14. Likes NormVA liked this post
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast