Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: amazon echo support?

Hello,
    I am a retired EE, a homeowner and newbie to the Lutron forum.
    I have mechanical Maestro 3-way dimmer switches controlling incandescent lights in my dining room, kitchen and breakfast nook. I love the look and feel of these switches. I recently installed Amazon's Echo and bought a Samsung SmartThings hub to control GE (ZWave) 3-way and single pole rocker switches throughout my house. I really do not like the look of Lutrons Caseta switches -- Maestro look and feel for dimmers is great. I want to control my lighting using Amazon's Echo. I hope that I don't have to switch to GE ZWave devices. Will wireless Maestro 3-way dimmers (MRF-600M & MA-R) work with Echo and a Samsung hub?

Lutron Maestro and Amazon's Echo (2017)

Hello,
    I am a retired EE, a homeowner and newbie to the Lutron forum.
    I have mechanical Maestro 3-way dimmer switches controlling incandescent lights in my dining room, kitchen and breakfast nook. I love the look and feel of these switches. I recently installed Amazon's Echo and bought a Samsung SmartThings hub to control GE (ZWave) 3-way and single pole rocker switches throughout my house. I really do not like the look of Lutrons Caseta switches -- Maestro look and feel for dimmers is great. I want to control my lighting using Amazon's Echo. I hope that I don't have to switch to GE ZWave devices. Will wireless Maestro 3-way dimmers (MRF-600M & MA-R) work with Echo and a Samsung hub?
    Just saw new posts. I am not sure what RA2 devices and Homeworks Integration are. Any directions for research?
    Thanks for your help,
    Kenn

Lutron Technical Support
    The Maestro Wireless dimmers are non-system dimmers that won't work with the Amazon Echo. If you like the look, then the Radio Ra2 dimmers will work with the Amazon Alexa, as long as you have both a Main Repeater, and a Connect Bridge for the Radio Ra2 system. I would suggest contacting one of our Residential Dealers in your area.

Go to the following "Where To Buy" website: http://www.lutron.com/en-us/Pages/WT...buy.aspx?AID=1 , and on the right side, choose Radio Ra2, enter your Zip/Postal Code, and click on Search.

You're not alone in disliking the look of the Caseta face plates. Lutron has no in-between options. That and upgrades require tearing out Caseta and throwing them away if you want to move up to Ra2.

If you want the same look as Maestro your choice is to use Radio Ra2 devices, or the considerable more expensive (and totally non-DIY) HWQS setup.

You can always go the radio ra2 route. Maybe swallow your pride as an EE and hire a certified installer and programmer or take the course yourself.

On another note, I wish there was a way to internally flip a switch to re-purpose Caseta dimmers to Radio Ra2 dimmers in case the homeowner who has invested in 40 Caseta dimmers wants to upgrade to Ra2. The problem I'm seeing with our lighting supplier and sales people is they are absolutely overselling Caseta's abilities instead of suggesting Ra2 for bigger jobs. I think since it's a DIY system, it's an easier sell to make to avoid pro installers but sooner or later, it's going to get out of hand and as usual, people like me are the ones who get caught in the middle when homeowners ask why they have to rip out their 2 year old system and completely replace it. But I digress.

Zigbee and Zwave systems are a joke though so threatening to go there only hurts you in the end ;)

Lutron & Amazon Echo

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    The Maestro Wireless dimmers are non-system dimmers that won't work with the Amazon Echo. If you like the look, then the Radio Ra2 dimmers will work with the Amazon Alexa, as long as you have both a Main Repeater, and a Connect Bridge for the Radio Ra2 system. I would suggest contacting one of our Residential Dealers in your area.

Go to the following "Where To Buy" website: http://www.lutron.com/en-us/Pages/WT...buy.aspx?AID=1 , and on the right side, choose Radio Ra2, enter your Zip/Postal Code, and click on Search.
    Hi Brian,Thanks for the info. I am in the process of researching Lutron and ZWave solutions. They are certainly different! My home is 2 level, about 2500 sqf. Concrete 2nd story floor with stucco walls – built in 1962. 434 MHz might work for what I need. I like Lutron’s solution of adding repeaters – much like my WiFi router that uses two access points to give me home-wide coverage. And thanks for the “Where to buy” link. More later…

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post

Hi Brian,Thanks for the info. I am in the process of researching Lutron and ZWave solutions. They are certainly different! My home is 2 level, about 2500 sqf. Concrete 2nd story floor with stucco walls – built in 1962. 434 MHz might work for what I need. I like Lutron’s solution of adding repeaters – much like my WiFi router that uses two access points to give me home-wide coverage. And thanks for the “Where to buy” link. More later…

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    You're not alone in disliking the look of the Caseta face plates. Lutron has no in-between options. That and upgrades require tearing out Caseta and throwing them away if you want to move up to Ra2.

If you want the same look as Maestro your choice is to use Radio Ra2 devices, or the considerable more expensive (and totally non-DIY) HWQS setup.
    Hello, Thanks for the suggestion to do RadioRA2 vs HWQS as a DIY. Really like the capability of DIY as I can understand the issues (maybe). More later.

Hi SparkyCoog, Why don't you like Zwave? I am doing some research and Zwave seems "simpler" than Lutron's solution. However, I have not done an install of either so any comments of Lutron v Zwave would be greatly appreciated.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789