Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: amazon echo support?

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyCoog View Post
    And it'd be nice if my customers could go to home depot and buy an LED bulb that actually works with the system they installed 5 years ago (ie. 6D dimmer with no neutral) but that was in another thread and all I heard were crickets.
    If there are three or more bulbs on a 6D, try the dimmable TCP BR30 lamps. I ran four with great dimming. My customers report good things as well at three or more bulbs. Two or less, you'll need a 6CL.

http://www.tcpi.com/business/product...eries/elite-br
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

We've had ok luck with Verbatim brand LED's - not the most glamorous of dimmings but at least it works to a degree.

I'll add my voice here. I've been slowly making the switch from a SmartThings hub with about 30 z-wave dimmers and switches to Lutron RadioRa 2 system, where I have about 16 devices so far. I stopped the migration when I got my Echo a few days ago. It's absolutely a game changer to be able to say "Alexa, turn on the outside lights" and it happens almost instantly.

If Lutron can't add this type of thing, I think it's a huge blow. I hate having a hugely expensive "pro" setup that can't do things that can be done a $200 system cobbled together at Home Depot. It would be like having a new expensive BMW and then seeing that your friend's Hyundai has far more cool tech integration and features. Doesn't typically happen.

I switched for the reliability of Radio Ra, but am starting to regret it when I can now control half my home with voice via Echo.

One would hope that Lutron would get off their backsides and make some movement here. There really seems to have been a paralysis of inaction from them over the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    One would hope that Lutron would get off their backsides and make some movement here. There really seems to have been a paralysis of inaction from them over the last year.
    It looks like they are aware of the problem and are taking the radio ra and QS platforms to the cloud http://www.cepro.com/article/new_lut...a_homeworks_qs

I would hope it's a matter of time before they join the tech-bro community and add some echo and nest compatibility. Really, I hope the old guard from the other lighting automation companies (out of respect for Lutron's forums I won't mention them by name, but they are also panel based) start doing more cloud based stuff so the work that they started and have devoted their reputation to isn't taken over by these radio-shack quality gizmos that have no style and reliability if the home router dies. There is still time, but I guess the challenge is in finding the balance of having a bulletproof local system vs. cloud processing.

That's encouraging. The article says that the bridge for RR2 has been "introduced" (seems a deliberate choice vs. "announced"). That usually means available or imminent availability. Anyone hear of a release date?

I was able to talk to someone that has an alpha connect bridge. They are working out the bugs and it needs to be far more reliable before they can release it. There's been enough trouble sometimes with the rapid growth in the Caseta line that needed work after the release. Hard to balance the needs/wants of the public and installers and the "old way" where Lutron wouldn't release anything until it was bomb-proof.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    I was able to talk to someone that has an alpha connect bridge. They are working out the bugs and it needs to be far more reliable before they can release it. There's been enough trouble sometimes with the rapid growth in the Caseta line that needed work after the release.
    One has to wonder how much of the problem lies with depending on a closed 3rd party network.

Quote Quote
    Hard to balance the needs/wants of the public and installers and the "old way" where Lutron wouldn't release anything until it was bomb-proof.
    Shame they don't just say "the Hell with going half-arsed, make a HWQS-grade controller and sell it as a loss-leader".

Just finished setting it up myself.

Caseta wireless to Smart Bridge to IFTTT to Amazon Echo

jnapier

Could you please elaborate on your setup? Where is the IFTTT part programmed? I know you just set it up, but is it reliable so far? Are there any cons? What would make it better / more reliable?

Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by jnapier View Post
    Just finished setting it up myself.

Caseta wireless to Smart Bridge to IFTTT to Amazon Echo

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast