Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: amazon echo support?

Quote Originally Posted by foyetog View Post
    Amen but I don't see them making necessary moves. Thinking about switching all of my Caseta devices out to more widely compatible devices. Was surprised that the Siri integration requires me to buy a new hub. The price of the Lutron home automated switches are also decreasingly competitive and the others such as WIWO are delivering the same function at half the cost.
    I wouldn't overreact. Echo now has Wink support and Wink supports Lutron. I have started phasing my casetas over to the Wink. There will be no perfect world for automation any time soon, so take your little victories and run with them. Wink is super cheap and it works. My only regret is being scared off by bad reviews for as long as I was.

Quote Originally Posted by tbeaulieu View Post
    I wouldn't overreact. Echo now has Wink support and Wink supports Lutron. I have started phasing my casetas over to the Wink. There will be no perfect world for automation any time soon, so take your little victories and run with them. Wink is super cheap and it works. My only regret is being scared off by bad reviews for as long as I was.
    How have you found the wink integration? Do lights respond as quickly as they do through the Lutron hub/app?
    When using Echo, is there much noticeable delay compared to Lutron?
    I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on this change as I wanted to wait and make sure such an integration didnt give too much performance lag.

Quote Originally Posted by adams View Post
    How have you found the wink integration? Do lights respond as quickly as they do through the Lutron hub/app?
    When using Echo, is there much noticeable delay compared to Lutron?
    I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on this change as I wanted to wait and make sure such an integration didnt give too much performance lag.
    You know, I haven't really paid much attention to the response time. There is a delay, but I haven't tried to time it and I'm not home right now to try it. I'd guess it's about a second? For me, it's a non issue. For one 99% of what I want with lighting is scheduling. I haven't touched my kitchen, living room, back hall, outside lamp and porch switches in months. They are simply on at the right times through scheduling. For the isolated times that I want to override a light in the house, I just LOVE being able to ask Alexa and a 1 second delay is of no concern to me. Wink is $50. I encourage you to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by tbeaulieu View Post
    You know, I haven't really paid much attention to the response time. There is a delay, but I haven't tried to time it and I'm not home right now to try it. I'd guess it's about a second? For me, it's a non issue. For one 99% of what I want with lighting is scheduling. I haven't touched my kitchen, living room, back hall, outside lamp and porch switches in months. They are simply on at the right times through scheduling. For the isolated times that I want to override a light in the house, I just LOVE being able to ask Alexa and a 1 second delay is of no concern to me. Wink is $50. I encourage you to give it a shot.
    Thanks for the feedback. Might see what Blackfriday / Cyber Monday deals pop up. Still need to purchase the echo as was holding out in hopes of direct integration. But I can handle 1 second delay.

I really wanted to reiterate that the "tech community" is moving on beyond Lutron and other established dealer supported companies. People on here know that Lutron makes the best dimmers and up until a few years ago had the most exciting products, but companies like Google, Amazon, and open source products are coming out with DIY products that provide that wow factor and connectivity and it'll be hard for customers to justify spending money on Lutron products if it can't even talk to what $50 bulb can do. This is a very critical time for home automation products. Sure, the very high end will always need a dealer/installer but that gap is closing in fast.

6. Likes DavidJ liked this post
    I received a notification from IFTTT that Amazon Echo has a recipe for Caseta. This would make much simpler once the Connect Bridge becomes available from Lutron for RR2 and HWQS.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

No, not really. That only gives you a trigger, not actual "Alexa, turn on (light name)." functionality. There you're stuck using "Alexa, trigger (IFTTT recipe name)." and having to configure what could be a lot of recipes.

The tech community might have ideas about making gizmos, but making decent lighting gear is still a bit of a challenge for them. Some of that stuff is just plain awful to use.

The question is whether there's decent money to be made selling to the emerging home market that gizmos like the Echo, Wink, SmartThings and others are courting.

Rumor has it Caseta hasn't been a winner. Now, is that because it's a completely awful product? Not entirely, but I'm inclined to think the two-toned color scheme did not help. Nor did it's price tag. Nor it's inane 'rip and replace' mentality when it came to potential upgrades. But I suspect what hurt most was a failure to effectively market it to the audience most likely to buy it.

Personally I think Lutron shouldn't have bothered making Caseta at all, just dropped the RA2 price point to that level, with the Smart Hub and marketed the hell out of it. But then I'm no expert, nor privy to enough of the details.

Still, it's a shame to see crap made for wifi, z-wave and zigbee gaining traction and providing a sub-par experience (RF, dimming and plastics-wise) but having much more intriguing connectivity options (lumps and all). The silence from Lutron on this front is deafeningly disappointing. Still, it's a superior product and the game is far from over. Just a bit of a shame to be so late to the party.

10. Likes DavidJ liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    The tech community might have ideas about making gizmos, but making decent lighting gear is still a bit of a challenge for them. Some of that stuff is just plain awful to use.

Personally I think Lutron shouldn't have bothered making Caseta at all, just dropped the RA2 price point to that level.

Still, it's a shame to see crap made for wifi, z-wave and zigbee gaining traction and providing a sub-par experience (RF, dimming and plastics-wise) but having much more intriguing connectivity options (lumps and all). The silence from Lutron on this front is deafeningly disappointing. Still, it's a superior product and the game is far from over. Just a bit of a shame to be so late to the party.
    Trust me, I get the quality of Lutron's products but that's because I've installed these things for over a decade and dealt with customers when things dont work. Average "bro Geek" however just thinks the little WiFi thing he saw on tech bro podcast (I won't name the one that really bugs me) is the end all be all and has no idea it will break after 2 years and won't have any replacement parts or even keypads.

I've never sold a caseta and probably won't but I think that was Lutron's response to all the tech bro types and DIYers...and there are some great cloud features that they could easily include with radio ra and QS but they don't for some reason.

Oh and I know the game is far from over but what happens this year with Lutron (and other established Automation systems - Vantage, Cresteron, Control 4, etc.) is going to be CRITICAL if they want to stay relevant. Every year when I go to the road show, Lutron has some new keypad or dimmer and they put on this whole song and dance about how great the Lutron engineers are at coming up with stuff we probably don't need but they have ignored the tsunami that's coming from the Googles, Amazons, and other tech giants.

And it'd be nice if my customers could go to home depot and buy an LED bulb that actually works with the system they installed 5 years ago (ie. 6D dimmer with no neutral) but that was in another thread and all I heard were crickets.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast