Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Scene creation in iPhone app

Scene creation in iPhone app

My RA2 lighting system has just been installed and keypads programmed. I'll want to tweak a few scenes with the programmer but I was wondering if there's a way to add scenes using the app? I know I can create events with the app but couldn't find a way to create a new scene without adding keypads (I've assigned all of the buttons on the existing keypads already).

Any ideas, or is this not possible?

It is not possible until you add keypads in the design.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thanks for the quick reply. I suspected that although it's unfortunate that you need a keypad button to create a scene. I would think the technology is smart enough to be able to use the app for that. If the app can create an infinite number of events which are just scenes with a predetermined start time, what's the difference between that and a scene that comes on at the touch of a button on your phone ?

The main repeater is approaching 10 years old. Caseta has the capabilities you are looking for, but limited in scope as far as the devices and size. As far as unlimited events, I think the cap is 256. Haven't met anyone with that many yet... Had a guy come close until we used the third party to eliminate making 81 events in triplicate.

Thanks again for the explanation.

I certainly don't need infinity scenes, just a few more than the four keypads will accommodate would be nice. I can't help but be cynical and think the reason for this is so Lutron can sell more keypads, but I don't understand the system nearly enough to say that for sure.

My dealer felt RA2 was a better option over Caseta for me since I have about 5000 square feet and although I didn't do the whole house now, I'll want to expand the system in the future. We never discussed the specifics of remote control with the app.

Oh well. I still love the product for what it can do.

rmemory-
    you can add the keypads in the system without activating an actual device- works the same whether you purchase the keypad or not. There is also the HomeOwner keypad in software version 8.0 and later, completely programmable from the app. Just need to add to the design, no $$ involved unless you have to pay the programmer to come out.

7. Thanks trx250r87 thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    rmemory-
    you can add the keypads in the system without activating an actual device- works the same whether you purchase the keypad or not. There is also the HomeOwner keypad in software version 8.0 and later, completely programmable from the app. Just need to add to the design, no $$ involved unless you have to pay the programmer to come out.
    That sounds promising. Seems like a virtual keypad, correct?

I'll ask my dealer about it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    rmemory-
    My programmer added a virtual keypad to my app with seven buttons that I can edit. Problem solved!