Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Adding GRAFIK Eye QS to RadioRA2 system

Adding GRAFIK Eye QS to RadioRA2 system

I am working on a relatively new but established RadioRA 2 system and the homeowner wants to add controlled shades to the den. There is a 4 gang box which has RRD-6CL that control various LED cans in the room. I am looking at a 6 zone GRAFIK EYE QS (as it should fit in the box) to control the lights and the shades without ripping up the walls. I have a couple questions if anyone is out there that has done this before:

- Can the GRAFIK Eye be used for LED lighting (if so what version)? It looks like most are not rated for LED

- Do I lose the ability to control that lighting hooked up to the GRAFIK Eye on keypads in the rest of the house or will they show up in the software as items to be added to scenes just like they were physical switches?

- Can the "scene" buttons on the GRAFIK Eye be programmed to turn on and off individual loads that are attached to the GRAFIK Eye (i.e. work just like it was a keypad in the RadioRA 2 software). Can they control other RadioRA 2 switches in the house?

- Once I get the shades, I assume they will be programmed locally on the GRAFIK Eye and be controlled by the shade keypad on the unit... will they also show up in the RadioRA 2 software (I know I need the more advanced software for this) and be available to be programmed on other keypads in the house?

- Are there any drawbacks to going this route?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    - Can the GRAFIK Eye be used for LED lighting (if so what version)? It looks like most are not rated for LED

Use the LED Product Selection Tool at www.lutron.com/led and check the LEDs you have to see if they are compatible with the GE. If so, then you should be okay, you'll need to adjust the low end trim,

- Do I lose the ability to control that lighting hooked up to the GRAFIK Eye on keypads in the rest of the house or will they show up in the software as items to be added to scenes just like they were physical switches?

The new zones will show up as individual dimmers in the app, and the keypad will be available as well. Down side is that you'll have to reprogram all the scenes that originally included these switch legs as you cannot "convert" the CL to a zone in a GE. All of your scenes can be re-created as before

- Can the "scene" buttons on the GRAFIK Eye be programmed to turn on and off individual loads that are attached to the GRAFIK Eye (i.e. work just like it was a keypad in the RadioRA 2 software). Can they control other RadioRA 2 switches in the house?

The scene buttons on the GE will act as any other keypad button in Ra2, you can use them for any load, shade, or timeclock function- they program the same as all other keypad buttons

- Once I get the shades, I assume they will be programmed locally on the GRAFIK Eye and be controlled by the shade keypad on the unit... will they also show up in the RadioRA 2 software (I know I need the more advanced software for this) and be available to be programmed on other keypads in the house?

Shades will be activated in the Ra2 program as any other dimmer or device, then can be added to any keypad button.

- Are there any drawbacks to going this route?

A lot of duplicate programming, may lose the compatibility with the LEDs installed, the standard 4 gang box may not be deep enough to handle the GE, GE use a 20A (12g) circuit for it's full capacity- it only has one line in, with six switch legs out (assuming the 6 zone GE)- if you use a 15A circuit, the capacity of the GE is just under 1500W total instead of the 1920W from a 20A circuit

Thanks!
    Hope this helps
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols