Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to setup Pico 4-button Keypad for 'Welcome' and 'Goodbye' scenes

I just found out today by calling Lutron that this is indeed possible. It's not exactly triggering the same scene you set up in the App, but you can get the same behavior.

1. Use the App to add the Pico 3 scene controller to your Caseta system. Choose which lights you would like it to control.
    - At this point, all it can do is 100%, 66%, 33% and off. However, you can train it to set it to any preset levels.
    2. Set all of the lights to the levels you want button 1 to set them to. (If you happen to already have a Caseta scene you want to mimic, you can just use the App to turn on that scene at this point).
    3. Hold down Button 1 on the Pico remote for 6 seconds until the button flashes rapidly.
    - The button will now trigger the scene!
    4. Repeat steps 2-3 for button 2 and 3.
    - You've successfully programmed 3 scenes!

Note that the button doesn't actually trigger the scene, it basically just copied settings from that scene. So if you change the scene in the app, you will still have to repeat step 3 if you want the remote button to change anything.

2. Thanks tomwickland thanked for this post
    Likes tomwickland liked this post
    All the buttons on the remote do have to control the same set of lights (you can choose which lights). You could use an additional remote for the "All Off." It's not ideal, but it's not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by snarshad View Post
    All the buttons on the remote do have to control the same set of lights (you can choose which lights). You could use an additional remote for the "All Off." It's not ideal, but it's not terrible.

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the issue for me. I am aware you can set the levels manually and press/hold a scene button to save as a preset. What I want is the ability to 'assign' a scene created in the mobile app to a pico button. I want to be able to 'ignore' some lighting circuits so that I can use a single keypad to do 'All Off' where a different button (i.e. Welcome) turns on just a handful.

This would allow us to pre-configure devices in advance and remotely update programming as well. Manually programming pico favorites buttons seems like we are going backwards.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by cliqk View Post
    Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the issue for me. I am aware you can set the levels manually and press/hold a scene button to save as a preset. What I want is the ability to 'assign' a scene created in the mobile app to a pico button. I want to be able to 'ignore' some lighting circuits so that I can use a single keypad to do 'All Off' where a different button (i.e. Welcome) turns on just a handful.

This would allow us to pre-configure devices in advance and remotely update programming as well. Manually programming pico favorites buttons seems like we are going backwards.
    Unfortunately, at this time there is no way to make this happen with a Pico remote on the Caseta system. I'll forward your suggestion to our engineering department as a possible future feature of the system. This is only currently available on our Homeworks QS system.

I would like to echo the call for this as a not-too-distant-future feature. Even when the Caseta is used in smaller installs, this would be a great plus. In my scenario, I have a basement home theatre and games room; three main banks of lights, a set of lights over the wetbar, and lights in the stairway going down into the basement are part of the Caseta system I am putting in. There's also a bathroom and small guest bedroom just off the theatre area, and outdoor patio lights that aren't part of the plans now (but could be in future). It would be awesome to have a few scenes programmed into a couple of 4 button picos at the top/bottom of my stairs, and to have the "all off" button turn off everything in the basement (including home theatre, patio, bedroom & bathroom) at the end of the night. Without that ability, I don't see myself ever adding the bedroom, bathroom and patio into the mix (which is at least 3 switches and possibly another pico or two I would purchase).

7. Likes vqvqv liked this post

Caseta Pico Control

Quote Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
    I would like to echo the call for this as a not-too-distant-future feature. Even when the Caseta is used in smaller installs, this would be a great plus. In my scenario, I have a basement home theatre and games room; three main banks of lights, a set of lights over the wetbar, and lights in the stairway going down into the basement are part of the Caseta system I am putting in. There's also a bathroom and small guest bedroom just off the theatre area, and outdoor patio lights that aren't part of the plans now (but could be in future). It would be awesome to have a few scenes programmed into a couple of 4 button picos at the top/bottom of my stairs, and to have the "all off" button turn off everything in the basement (including home theatre, patio, bedroom & bathroom) at the end of the night. Without that ability, I don't see myself ever adding the bedroom, bathroom and patio into the mix (which is at least 3 switches and possibly another pico or two I would purchase).

Has there been any more progress on this? Being able to trigger a scene from a PICO remote would add tons of functionality to this system.

Quote Originally Posted by oadoc View Post
    Has there been any more progress on this? Being able to trigger a scene from a PICO remote would add tons of functionality to this system.
    Totally agree. I don't have a Caséta system today, but I'd add one in a heart beat if proper scene control functionality was added. HomeKit compatibility is a must for me, I don't want a lot of isolated "systems" that can't work together. I also need physical buttons and controls, I'm not talking to my phone to set the "romantic evening scene."

That said, I have an idea for how one might be able to "hack" Caséta and HomeKit to replicate the desired scene personality we want here.

I want to know if anyone who has the HomeKit compatible hub, and is running iOS 10 (beta) on an iPad can confirm whether this works:

Create scenes in Lutron or Home apps (I'm not sure which makes more sense) with the desired lighting and shade levels.

Dedicate a spare dimmer outlet (with nothing plugged into it) as a "trigger outlet"

Use special dimming levels as cues to initiate a scene:
    5% -> Welcome Scene
    10% -> Evening Scene
    15% -> Goodbye Scene

Program a 4-button PICO remote to set the "trigger dimmer" to these specific levels

Add a trigger rule in the Home app (HomeKit) or in a 3rd-party app like Eve that executes the desired scene whenever the trigger dimmer reaches these levels.

In practice: Press the top button on the PICO remote, trigger dimmer goes to 5%, Home app on iPad recognizes dimmer is at 5%, follows the rule and runs the "Welcome" scene

Two questions: does this work?
    What is the latency, is it acceptable?

If anyone can give it a try, I'd love to know. Thanks

@cliqk,

There is a way of doing this if you are an iPhone user. By using HomeKit and some third party apps, I've been able to trigger specific scenes using the buttons on a Pico remote. It's a bit of a workaround, but it does work rather well. I did this for a standard Pico remote (i.e., the one with the round "favorite" button in the middle of it), but I see no reason why you can't use the same methodology to work with the 4 button Pico remote.

Here's a link to a different thread where I discuss how this can be done... https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...something-else

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by smart_home_guy View Post
    Totally agree. I don't have a Caséta system today, but I'd add one in a heart beat if proper scene control functionality was added. HomeKit compatibility is a must for me, I don't want a lot of isolated "systems" that can't work together. I also need physical buttons and controls, I'm not talking to my phone to set the "romantic evening scene."

That said, I have an idea for how one might be able to "hack" Caséta and HomeKit to replicate the desired scene personality we want here.

I want to know if anyone who has the HomeKit compatible hub, and is running iOS 10 (beta) on an iPad can confirm whether this works:

Create scenes in Lutron or Home apps (I'm not sure which makes more sense) with the desired lighting and shade levels.

Dedicate a spare dimmer outlet (with nothing plugged into it) as a "trigger outlet"

Use special dimming levels as cues to initiate a scene:
    5% -> Welcome Scene
    10% -> Evening Scene
    15% -> Goodbye Scene

Program a 4-button PICO remote to set the "trigger dimmer" to these specific levels

Add a trigger rule in the Home app (HomeKit) or in a 3rd-party app like Eve that executes the desired scene whenever the trigger dimmer reaches these levels.

In practice: Press the top button on the PICO remote, trigger dimmer goes to 5%, Home app on iPad recognizes dimmer is at 5%, follows the rule and runs the "Welcome" scene

Two questions: does this work?
    What is the latency, is it acceptable?

If anyone can give it a try, I'd love to know. Thanks
    @smart_home_guy,

I've done JUST what you're describing and it works like a charm. Latency is imperceptible. Please see my post describing this technique on this thread... https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...something-else

I've been able to do this without having to dedicate a spare dimmer; I just use a light that is unrelated to the scene I'm triggering and then have the last action of the scene be to "clean up" by turning the trigger light off. In my case, I use my back door, outside light.

Finally, please note that I use a third party app (Eve by Elgato) to manage the scenes and triggers. While I happen to be using the iOS 10 beta, this does NOT require it. I made the suggestion to another user who was able to accomplish this with iOS 9 using the Eve app.

Good luck getting this to work. If you run into troubles, post here and I'll do what I can to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthboHomeKitGuy View Post
    @smart_home_guy,

I've done JUST what you're describing and it works like a charm. Latency is imperceptible. Please see my post describing this technique on this thread... https://forums.lutron.com/showthread...something-else

I've been able to do this without having to dedicate a spare dimmer; I just use a light that is unrelated to the scene I'm triggering and then have the last action of the scene be to "clean up" by turning the trigger light off. In my case, I use my back door, outside light.

Finally, please note that I use a third party app (Eve by Elgato) to manage the scenes and triggers. While I happen to be using the iOS 10 beta, this does NOT require it. I made the suggestion to another user who was able to accomplish this with iOS 9 using the Eve app.

Good luck getting this to work. If you run into troubles, post here and I'll do what I can to help you out.
    That's awesome! We were thinking the same thing. Maybe I've got to break down and get some Caséta hardware. I wish this were a more permanent solution and not a "hack" however.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast