Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Control + access

Home Control + access

I'm relatively new here. Have had my Ra2 system up and running for 6 months now. I just bought the HC+ app for my iPhone but I cannot get it to connect. It can't find the system by itself so I manually added it by inserting the repeater's IP address. It still can't connect. HTTP proxy is set to "off " as well. Any ideas?

Are you sure you have the right IP address? Can you telnet to that address from a computer? Also, do you have an integration login set up for your HCA+, or are you using the default login? Does that login work via telnet?

IP address seems to be the issue. LAN IP is 192.168.x.x Lutron Ra2 system only allows me to set a 169.x.x.x address. Why doesn't Ra2 system allow me to set the IP address I need? Very frustrating.

Ah. 169.X.Y.Z is reserved for networks that do not have an internet connection. No router, in other words. Where are you trying to set that address? In the HC+ setup? Or in the RRA2 software (Essentials, I presume)?

You have to let the repeater get an address from the DHCP server (usually the router). If you want a specific IP address, use your router's admin interface to set a "reserved" address for the repeater's MAC address. Just make sure it's outside the router's DHCP range.

Yes. Trying to set the address in the Essentials software. When I connect the main repeater to the router, my laptop (running Essentials) cannot find the repeater. The only way my laptop finds the repeater is when I connect the laptop directly to it. In other words, the repeater and router aren't seeing each other. Hence the 169... address. I ran into this 6 months ago when I installed my system. Spent countless hours trying to figure it out. No luck so I resorted to hardline connect to upload my programs. A real pain.

Ok, that's a pain to diagnose. I assume you've tried different cables between the router and the repeater? And doing a full reset on the repeater (making sure you have a backup of the programming, of course)? If it was me, I'd grab a different router and see if the repeater can talk to it. Might be something in the router that doesn't like the repeater. Or I'd set up my laptop to "share" it's Internet connection to see if the repeater can get an IP address from it. All things that sometimes help pin down the issue.

And until you can get the repeater on your main network (192.168...) with the Wifi, you're not going to be able to use the HC+.

Hmm. Just had another thought. Did you do the initial repeater setup? Or someone else? It's possible it was set up on a network with a different IP range, and hard-coded to that address. A full reset would fix that, or you could set your laptop to the "other" network and reset it.

Yeah, I figure I have to fix the larger problem before being able to use HC+. I did the initial setup 6 months ago. Had a different (D-link) router. Then got a new Apple AirPort Extreme three months ago. I have an Ethernet switch between the Airport and the repeater so I'll try going direct. I'll also try a full reset and see what happens. Thanks for your time and input. Really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes.

One tidbit for you. D-Link uses 192.168.1.1 as it's default (router) address, I think. Maybe 192.168.0.1. Apple uses 10.0.something. So check to make sure you're actually on the address you think you're on.

Indeed. I changed my Apple DHCP settings from 10.x to 192.168... range this morning hoping that would resolve the problem (thinking that I could set the main repeater to the same 192.168 prefix). No worries. I know all the addresses ultimately need to have matching prefixes in order for this to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast