Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Experiencing Delays in lights on/off

Experiencing Delays in lights on/off

Hi there

Can anyone help or advise.

I've upgraded an old interactive system to a Lutron qs system. I've replaced all keypads and the new system is running with one QS processor. I've also replaced the old interactives processors MI with a new MI along side the new QS processor. All existing MIs remain and there are 4u RPMs (red label) in 5 x PLN8.
    When first programmed everything seemed ok... But now I'm expering delays in lights turning on/off and sometimes lights staying on even after an all off scene.
    ive installed some qs shades on the same qs link as the lights and these seem to operate without delay.
    when transferring the database Ive received the message update of device failed ( hwiMI230 1)
    ive also noticed the ERR led on the processor flash occasionally is there a pulse code?
    the only thing I cannot determine is the length of the cable now included in the qs link however I'm sure these delays were not present at the beginning (upto 2 secs)!!
    I tried to extract the data base from the processor but received the message (unable to extract project in remote access mode) where I was connected by a direct cable?

Thanks in advance

J

Pretty sure you need to replace the old MIs.
    I had a job a few years ago where the MI date code was 'okay' according to Lutron but when on site I had the same experience you did- lights responded, but slowly. Many times, an off command resulted in lights dimming to what looked like 10%. Another toggle might result in success, it might not.

I swapped both MIs with brand new units and everything worked 100% after that.

I do remember that the diagnotic LEDs on both the MIs and the QS processor acted odd- I can't tell you exactly what it did but I knew it didn't look right.

If you want to test this theory I would say take out the old MIs and move the 1 new MI you have around to each panel as a test. I think you'll find that the system should operate the lights properly as long as the old MIs are not connected.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    jimathome,

How old are the MIs you used when replacing the processor? What version of HWQS did you use? Does this happen every time you press a button?

Quote Originally Posted by jimathome View Post
    Hi there

Can anyone help or advise.

I've upgraded an old interactive system to a Lutron qs system. I've replaced all keypads and the new system is running with one QS processor. I've also replaced the old interactives processors MI with a new MI along side the new QS processor. All existing MIs remain and there are 4u RPMs (red label) in 5 x PLN8.
    When first programmed everything seemed ok... But now I'm expering delays in lights turning on/off and sometimes lights staying on even after an all off scene.
    ive installed some qs shades on the same qs link as the lights and these seem to operate without delay.
    when transferring the database Ive received the message update of device failed ( hwiMI230 1)
    ive also noticed the ERR led on the processor flash occasionally is there a pulse code?
    the only thing I cannot determine is the length of the cable now included in the qs link however I'm sure these delays were not present at the beginning (upto 2 secs)!!
    I tried to extract the data base from the processor but received the message (unable to extract project in remote access mode) where I was connected by a direct cable?

Thanks in advance

J
    2 more thoughts
    - if this was a stock interactive system (not illumination) then I really really doubt the MIs are going to work with QS. An interactive system is very likely over ten years old.
    - regarding extraction- in the activate/processors screen, drop down 'remote access' and select 'use multicast address'. That should allow you to extract.

Hi there

i replaced the old interactive processor with a brand new MI probably about a year old now. The house has been renovated for the last 10 months so I did some basic programming of the system and then added 1 keypad to turn the whole house on/off for the builders. I'm pretty sure I didn't notice the delay then. I've now returned to the house to program the system and add blinds and now I've noticed the delay!
    I recieve "unable to update device" to most of the MIs on upload but I'm pretty sure on the first upload I didn't recieve any warnings.
    Rpm 4us are all labeled red so I think they're ok?.
    Im running version 7.2 now but may have written the first data base in 6?
    seems to be happening most button presses now apart from the qs shade control buttons they seem to react ok!

ill try to extract again but I'm pretty sure I've extracted from the processor before with no issues?
    how about the red LED. ERR blinking what's this mean?

thanks for the advice

It sounds like you should call Tech Support the next time you are on site.

If you can roll back to 6 and load your old program in 6 that may help you identify the problem. You can then update with your most current program after testing. If you don't want to roll back, roll forward to 7.4 - it's the most stable recent release.

If the only MI that DOESN'T fail to update is the NEW MI, then I think the problem is the old MIs. Old ones aren't compatible with QS, and you'll need to replace them.

If you get Lutron the date codes on the MIs they should be able to confirm whether they are compatible.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    JimatHome,

See the top of our current issues app note from December. HWQS revs that are not 7.4 or 8.1 will have delay and transfer issues with the MI. We recommend upgrading the system to one of the new beta or non-beta versions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Based on his reply I don't think the replacement MI is X46 or later date code. I think the replacement MI is about 10 months old.

"i replaced the old interactive processor with a brand new MI probably about a year old now."

Thanks for the advice.... I'm back on site tomorrow so will take a look! Is it possible to change the database back to a previous version?? What would be the best way to go back to the previous version where I think everything worked ok?
    Or Is 8.1 still available on the resi site??
    Thanks again for you help.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by jimathome View Post
    Thanks for the advice.... I'm back on site tomorrow so will take a look! Is it possible to change the database back to a previous version?? What would be the best way to go back to the previous version where I think everything worked ok?
    Or Is 8.1 still available on the resi site??
    Thanks again for you help.
    J
    If you are able, try calling tech support when you are on site. They can help you determine what date codes on the MIs work with particular QS revs.

You can't roll back an existing QS database to an earlier rev. You could, however, simply use the old database that you built with 6.xx - the QS program will tell you that the processor OS has to be transferred first, but once complete you can use that to see if the delay is still present.

I would start with calling tech support to confirm date codes on all MIs. If you don't have internet access on site, download 7.4 and 8.1 from the resi site- they are posted there.

11. Likes Armando B. liked this post