Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Controlling Central Fan From Multiple Bathrooms

Authorized Lutron Contributor

Controlling Central Fan From Multiple Bathrooms

Attached is a project where a user can control a fan from four different bathrooms.

The way the control works will be:
    If Person 1 pressed a bathroom keypad button for the fan, the LED will light up and the fan will be on. If person 2 goes into a different bathroom and pressed a button to control the same fan, the LED will be on but nothing will happen. If Person 1 pressed the button to leave, the fan will stay on (because person 2 still has the button activated), but the LED will be off. When person two presses the button to leave, the LED and Fan will be off.

Programming model for the keypad buttons is:

If the fan is off, the keypad’s variable will be true and fan will turn on.
    If the fan is already on, it will query if all other keypad variables are false. If they are, the fan will turn off and the variable for the local keypad will be false.
    If one or more keypad Variables are true, then the local keypad’s variable will toggle between true and false depending on button press.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ty W.; 08-13-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Are there any ideas you have for centrally locating the logic for the routines you have created. The problem would be in a house with lots of locations, you run the risk of missing something, or if the customer wishes to change a couple parameters. Also this programming is for a single button, however if there is a room or suite off, you have to duplicate this logic under those buttons also. This event that takes place is a routine that almost should be a sequence, however Conditionals aren't allowed under a sequence.

The only idea I had based on what I can find in the program, is to place the logic under a CCI and then put in a CCO to get triggered by a button into that CCI and use it to run the sequence.

@jholmes - What you mention about programming the conditional logic on a CCI and triggering it from a CCO would be a good option. Another way to do a similar thing is if you have two processors on your job you can have one Telnet into the other and send an integration string to press a phantom button with the conditional logic on it. Same basic idea but could be a cheaper solution if you already have two processors on your job.

Why not have the fan turn on whenever one light is on in any bathroom and turn off like 15' after the last bathroom light goes off ?

That would be another viable way of implementing this application. Each button would start a sequence that will keep the fan on for 15 minutes, then turn it off. If another button that controls the bath fan and light is pressed, the sequence would start. You would have to ensure the button is programmed to take the sequence to the first step, not to "start/next".

Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    That would be another viable way of implementing this application. Each button would start a sequence that will keep the fan on for 15 minutes, then turn it off. If another button that controls the bath fan and light is pressed, the sequence would start. You would have to ensure the button is programmed to take the sequence to the first step, not to "start/next".
    I know that's how we program the de-foaming mirrors in bathrooms. With a shorter timeout.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mehuneau View Post
    I know that's how we program the de-foaming mirrors in bathrooms.
    I think the bigger issue is how do you get so much foam on your mirror :)

Mist.

Not foam. 8-)

I got some spare parts of English language running loose in my brains I guess.

(Explosive shaving foam can comes to mind)

When ever that happens to me I turn on my mirror de fogging to dry it out