Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Time Clock Losing 10 minutes each day????

Time Clock Losing 10 minutes each day????

I have a RA2 system with one main repeater and one aux repeater that was installed about 18 months ago. It is running 6.2.0 software. There are 4 timeclock events (normal mode, not randomized) programed to turn both interior and exterior lights on at sunset and then off again at sunrise. When the system was first installed these timeclock events occurred at the appropriate times for sunset and sunrise. However, recently they have been occurring later and later each day.

I've reloaded the main repeater firmware several times and tried an upgrade to 7.7.0 software, but because of issues with certain interior lights not functioning after the upgrade tech support recommended I go back to 6.2.0.

In trying to troubleshoot the issue, I re-transferred all the program files to the system in the evening (8 pm) of 1 Dec 14 and used telnet (gettime & ?timeclock,4,4) commands to confirm the correct time and the expected execution times of the timeclock events. These all looked as they should with the times matching sunset and sunrise with "randomization" showing 0 offset. Over the last 3 days, I've used telnet (gettime) to observe the time within the main repeater and it appears each day sometime between 1 - 3 pm the main repeater clock is losing exactly 10 minutes of time. The timeclock events themselves have been tripping each evening, but 10 minutes later each night due to the faulty time in the main repeater. I've searched the forum, but haven't found any similar issues discussed.

I would appreciate any suggestions for troubleshooting the issue.

Thanks,
    Bret

As a follow up to those who may experience a similar issue I sent a support file to Tech Support. Craig replied the next day that it appeared I had a network loop and the main repeater was seeing itself as a second main repeater. This was causing problems with the main repeater maintaining an accurate time clock. Craig suggested I disconnected the main repeater from the local network and see if that solved the time clock issue, which it did.

As a side note, I have also upgraded the main repeater from 6.2 software to 7.8 (one software build at a time as suggested by Tech Support). I'm assuming the following anomalous behavior is also associated with the network loop because it only happens when the main repeater is connected to the local network. With the main repeater connected to the local network, any lights setup as a toggle (on/off) will require a double tap of the switch to turn on and turn off. If a single tap is used, the light will initially turn on, but after a second or two will slowly fade off. Scene settings seem to work normally. As soon as the main repeater is disconnected from the local network all functionality returns to normal.

Now I just have to figure out where the network loop is! If anyone has any ideas on how to find it, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
    Bret

Did you ever figure out this issue? I'm running into the same issue with both problems.
    A) Each day losing about 10 minutes
    B) On one keypad only, light toggle needs double click (changing it to scene fixed issue)
    C) Most nights around midnight / 1am the system randomly beeps about 10 minutes apart

I haven't tried to unplug unit since that would disable integration.

Quote Originally Posted by sfblackl View Post
    Did you ever figure out this issue? I'm running into the same issue with both problems.
    A) Each day losing about 10 minutes
    B) On one keypad only, light toggle needs double click (changing it to scene fixed issue)
    C) Most nights around midnight / 1am the system randomly beeps about 10 minutes apart

I haven't tried to unplug unit since that would disable integration.
    It turned out to be the router itself that was causing the network loop. I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the Main Repeater and confirmed the lights worked normally (i.e. no double hit required for a toggle switch). I then disconnected everything from my router except for one Ethernet cable to the Main Repeater. Within 60 seconds of connecting the two I would get the double hit required to turn on and off a light toggle switch. Almost immediately after disconnecting the Ethernet cable from the Main Repeater the lights worked normally. I'm the homeowner and I simply connect directly to the main repeater with my laptop to do any integration. One of these days I'll get around to replacing the router, but it is working fine with everything else and so I'm in no rush. My suggestion would be to try disconnecting the Ethernet cable from the main repeater and see if that solves the double hit needed for a toggle switch and the other issues. If it does, then I'd suspect a network loop is causing the issue. Try just connecting the router alone to the Main Repeater and see if the issue remains. If so, then I'd replace the router. If the lights work normally with just the router connected, then I'd start connecting things one at a time back to the router and see when the lights stop working normally. The other thing is if you haven't sent a support file to Tech Support, I'd do that as they were very helpful in confirming the network loop and trying to point me in the right direction to troubleshoot it. Hope this helps.

Thanks - will give it a shot. Like you I'm the installer and home owner. This didn't happen right away but might have been around when I patched the router, I didn't connect them.