Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3-way switch release date

Quote Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
    Any toggle or paddle style mechanical 3-way switch will work. Maestro companion dimmers/switches will not work.
    That's unfortunate. I thought since you could use Maestro companion switches (e.g. MA-AS) in 3 and 4-way applications that they would work here. This might seem silly, but aesthetically I don't think any toggle or paddle switch will look good when mixed with Caseta switches since they wouldn't be flat/flush against the fall like the Caseta switches.

Is the only other option to replace the switch with a Pico?

Quote Originally Posted by asherrick View Post
    Is the only other option to replace the switch with a Pico?
    What about the Caseta switch? Can that be used?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    What about the Caseta switch? Can that be used?
    No. The options are either a mechanical switch or a Pico.

I am a beginner just starting out with Caseta. In a 3-way application with a Caseta dimmer and a mechanical switch, will my Smart Bridge Pro know the status of the light if I use the mechanical switch to turn it on or off? What features would I be giving up by keeping the mechanical switch instead of installing a Pico remote? It is not clear to me what features the new 3-way switch would have and whether it would be worth my waiting for instead of going with what is currently available. Thanks.

tsoulen-
    The SmartBridge should know the status of the switch in question. It allows for smaller device counts on a SmartBridge with regards to switching (no need to use Picos that count). Frees up the devices for more loads or Shades.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Has the 3 way dimmer been released yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    tsoulen-
    The SmartBridge should know the status of the switch in question. It allows for smaller device counts on a SmartBridge with regards to switching (no need to use Picos that count). Frees up the devices for more loads or Shades.
    How does the Caseta and therefore the Hub would know the status of the light if it is turned on at an other switch. Is the caseta pro constantly sensing flow through the circuit and reporting that status to the hub?

Quote Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
    How does the Caseta and therefore the Hub would know the status of the light if it is turned on at an other switch. Is the caseta pro constantly sensing flow through the circuit and reporting that status to the hub?
    malba2366,

When the Caseta Wireless devices change level they will report the level they are going to. The Smart Bridge will then reflect this update to the Lutron App or other third party systems so they can reflect the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
    When the Caseta Wireless devices change level they will report the level they are going to. The Smart Bridge will then reflect this update to the Lutron App or other third party systems so they can reflect the change.
    Kevin,

I think he was asking what happens when you turn the light on or off using the mechanical 3-way switch.

Kevin,

I think he was asking what happens when you turn the light on or off using the mechanical 3-way switch.
    asherrick,

It would apply in this application as well. When the state changes on the mechanical switch the Pro dimmer will sense this and complete the necessary action. If it's on then it will turn off and if it's off then it will turn on. When this change happens the Pro dimmer will report to the system what level it is moving to to update the Smart Bridge.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast