Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: High wattage equivalent of RRD-6CL dimmers?

High wattage equivalent of RRD-6CL dimmers?

Hi folks,

I'm working with a system that came with RRD-6CL dimmers for a home full of incandescent medium-base 65W floods. Some of them have 10 bulbs per on/off switch which puts it over the 600W max. I assume this means for those I should go with the RRD-10D? The owner doesn't plan on going with LEDs anytime soon but I guess the RRD-10D has less support for LED bulbs than the 6CL?

Also, in what situations would the 10ND be required? Is it safe to say that if the circuits work with 10D, the 10ND isn't required? Thanks!

geofry,
    The 10D and 10ND are pretty much the same, except the 10ND dimmer requires the neutral in the box. It is preferred over the 10D as the minimum load drops to 10W and the 10ND has been approved for approved LED loads. I always recommend the 10ND if possible.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Thanks SandiegoRep! that's super helpful!

What about for fluorescent lights (the tube style ones)? I presume these aren't dimmable, so RRD-8ANS-XX or RRD-8S-DV-XX I assume? Are they analogous to the 10ND and 10D respectively? Thanks again!

geofry,
    You are spot on, 8ANS when you have a neutral, 8SDV when you don't.

Quick question, if I have a bunch of RRD-6CL-WH dimmers installed but they seem to not have neutral hooked up, I guess it's not easy to tell if I need the 10D (or if I could do 10ND) for similar switches around the home?

Correct, you would have to look into the box and see if there are neutrals present. If so, I would use the 10ND. If not, you may have to switch to a lower wattage LED bulb that is compatible with the 6CL.

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    Correct, you would have to look into the box and see if there are neutrals present. If so, I would use the 10ND. If not, you may have to switch to a lower wattage LED bulb that is compatible with the 6CL.
    That's a good idea, maybe I could explore the lower wattage option.

For fluorescent tube fixtures though, especially if I don't want dimming, it looks like the 8SDV would be the safest since there are 3 fixtures each with 2 tubes, so I'd definitely meet the min load.. Thanks!