Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: STRD keypads backlight not working

STRD keypads backlight not working

I have a system with two HRP5-120 processors running Illumination 1.65 software. I have 13 various STRD keypads (STRD-6BRL, STRD-7B, etc.). When the system was first set up (8 years ago) all of the backlights on the STRD keypads worked as expected. Somewhere through various Illumination software upgrades and programming changes the STRD keypad backlights stopped working.

I have checked each STRD keypad's properities in the Programming tab and the Backlight Brightness is set to "High". I checked in the User Preferences under Current Project Defaults and the Backlight Brightness is set to "High". I have tried setting an individual STRD keypads Backlight Brightness to "Off", uploading the project, and then setting that keypads Backlight Brightness to "High" and uploading the project. The backlight on that STRD keypad still does not turn on. I have tried un-assigning the address from an STRD keypad and then re-assigning the address to that keypad but the backlight still does not work. A few months ago I added two additional STRD-6BRL keypads to the system. The backlights work properly on the newly added keypads.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I read online that I should re-create the project from scratch but that would be a huge job that I would prefer to avoid if I can since beyond the 13 STRD keypads the project also has 16 other keypads (HRD and HRT) and 65 dimmers with a lot of programming.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    We do not believe that this backlight failure is related to programming or software upgrades of your system. It sounds like something caused the LED power supply in these keypads to fail. The only solution would be to replace the keypads. If they are still within the 8 year warranty, they would be covered at 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim S. View Post
    We do not believe that this backlight failure is related to programming or software upgrades of your system. It sounds like something caused the LED power supply in these keypads to fail. The only solution would be to replace the keypads. If they are still within the 8 year warranty, they would be covered at 25%.
    Tim thanks for the quick response.

The individual LED indicators to the left of each key on the keypads still function correctly. They change from dim to bright based on zones. Are they powered by a separate power supply then the backlight LEDs?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    They are controlled from a different part of the circuit. It is possible for the backlight to fail and the rest of the keypad still function normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim S. View Post
    They are controlled from a different part of the circuit. It is possible for the backlight to fail and the rest of the keypad still function normally.
    Does the brightness setting (high, medium, low) effect the longevity of the power supply? If I do decide to replace them I would like for the backlights to last as long as possible.

When I am done with my currently planned expansion of the system I will have about 30 STRD keypads. If I need to replace them every 8 or so years that is quite an unexpected expense. I expect I would need to do so since every STRD keypad installed in my home has had its backlight fail in 8 years or less.

Do the the backlights on keypads from the newer Homeworks QS have a longer life expectancy. If so I will look at the cost of switching systems now before expanding.

Thanks