Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caseta dimmer intall problem

Caseta dimmer intall problem

I'm trying to install a Caseta dimmer to replace a 3-way circuit. Per the instructions, I've removed one of the existing 3-way switches, trying its 3 wires together. On the other end, I've tied the 2 travelers to one of the dimmer's legs and the third wire to to the other leg.

When I turn on the circuit, the Caseta dimmer doesn't appear to start. The dimmer's LEDs do not turn on, and the buttons do not do anything. However, the light attached to the dimmer is turns on. If I replace the Caseta dimmer with a basic single pole single throw switch, the circuit works as expected, and I can turn on and off the light. Looking at the voltage across the switch, it's 120 as expected.

I've tried two different Caseta dimmers (I have a bunch because I'm rewiring this whole floor) and both show the same behavior.

Any one have any ideas what could be going on?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by ecopoesis View Post
    I'm trying to install a Caseta dimmer to replace a 3-way circuit. Per the instructions, I've removed one of the existing 3-way switches, trying its 3 wires together. On the other end, I've tied the 2 travelers to one of the dimmer's legs and the third wire to to the other leg.

When I turn on the circuit, the Caseta dimmer doesn't appear to start. The dimmer's LEDs do not turn on, and the buttons do not do anything. However, the light attached to the dimmer is turns on. If I replace the Caseta dimmer with a basic single pole single throw switch, the circuit works as expected, and I can turn on and off the light. Looking at the voltage across the switch, it's 120 as expected.

I've tried two different Caseta dimmers (I have a bunch because I'm rewiring this whole floor) and both show the same behavior.

Any one have any ideas what could be going on?
    ecopoesis,

What type of lights are being connected to the Caseta Dimmer?
    What is the amount of wattage?

If using LEDs, verify the bulbs are on the 150W LED/CFL Compatible Bulb List found on www.lutron.com/led. If your are using LED bulbs that are not on that list then unfortunately we cannot guarantee the performance or operation of the those bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
    ecopoesis,

What type of lights are being connected to the Caseta Dimmer?
    What is the amount of wattage?

If using LEDs, verify the bulbs are on the 150W LED/CFL Compatible Bulb List found on www.lutron.com/led. If your are using LED bulbs that are not on that list then unfortunately we cannot guarantee the performance or operation of the those bulbs.
    They are Philips SlimStyle A19. There are three of them. We use these same lights on many other Caseta dimmers with no problems.

As I said, the problem isn't with dimming, it's with the Caseta not working at all. When power is applied to a circuit, the light it just on with no LEDs lit on the Caseta. None of the buttons on the Caseta do anything.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    They are Philips SlimStyle A19. There are three of them. We use these same lights on many other Caseta dimmers with no problems.

As I said, the problem isn't with dimming, it's with the Caseta not working at all. When power is applied to a circuit, the light it just on with no LEDs lit on the Caseta. None of the buttons on the Caseta do anything.
    If you move the dimmers to another circuit that is working, do they still work there? If they work in another circuit then it would indicate an issue with the bulbs, fixture, or wiring.

Can you change the bulbs out for Incandescent bulbs? If the dimmers work with Incandescent then it would narrow down to a bulb compatibility.

Did you ever get this working? I am running into the same thing - replacing existing, 3-way, Lutron Maetro (master/slave) which works great for dimming my kitchen Philips led lights. On the Pico side I just capped all three wires per the video. On the switch side I connected one wire to the 'gold' screw side and then capped the remaining 2 wires with the other switch wire. I don't have a ground so I just capped the switch ground wire. When power it applied the lights come on but the switch does nothing.

Thanks for any help.

No, I never got this to work. It's frustrating because that is the only light on that floor not on Caseta.

No, I never got this to work. It's frustrating because that is the only light on that floor not on Caseta.

I had this exact same problem. Two Caseta dimmers, one worked, the other didn't. In my case the dimmer that didn't work was wired directly with the hot and to the pigtail for the dimmer that did work, when it should also have it's own pigtail to the hot. Basically, you need to connect the non working dimmer via the common pigtail to the hot, not directly off it.

I had the exact same issue. To solve it, instead of bridging all three wires in the same cap on Page 4 Step 13, I capped the tagged (hot) wire separately. This way there was only one hot going into the dimmer. This fixed the issue and allowed the dimmer to start (green leds to light up). I hope this helps!

9. Thanks fab0418 thanked for this post
    Likes fab0418 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by djlk1 View Post
    I had the exact same issue. To solve it, instead of bridging all three wires in the same cap on Page 4 Step 13, I capped the tagged (hot) wire separately. This way there was only one hot going into the dimmer. This fixed the issue and allowed the dimmer to start (green leds to light up). I hope this helps!
    For the record, this was the fix for me too. No problem now.

Quote Originally Posted by djlk1 View Post
    I had this issue and swapped the black wires from the dimmer switch and this solved the problem. Even though Lutron states they are inter-changeable, a 3 way may be the exception.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast