Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Does the lack of products in the Caseta line frustrate you?

Does the lack of products in the Caseta line frustrate you?

I've only recently discovered the Caseta line of products, but have been a happy Lutron customer for years. I love the Caseta concept and how it is geared towards less tech savvy customers. The limited selection of devices though is very frustrating.

I currently run the Maestro line of fan/dimmer canopy modules/switches in all my rooms with ceiling fans. Love them but why don't we have a Caseta RF version? There is a Maestro IR version, but why can't we get an RF version.

Also it seems that there are quite a few of the RadioRA2 RF devices that can be used locally with Caseta in wall switches, dimmers and lamp modules but they cannot be integrated into the Caseta smartbridge. Obviously they are compatible from a hardware perspective because they operate the Caseta devices but the front end apps and Smartbridge firmware don't support them.

The only reason I can think of for the lack of integration between Caseta and RadioRA2 is to protect the high end marketing of the RadioRA2. I get it, but it's frustrating none-the-less.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincycaddy View Post
    Obviously they are compatible from a hardware perspective because they operate the Caseta devices but the front end apps and Smartbridge firmware don't support them.

The only reason I can think of for the lack of integration between Caseta and RadioRA2 is to protect the high end marketing of the RadioRA2. I get it, but it's frustrating none-the-less.
    I've always assumed that this was the reasoning. Recently, though, I've begun to wonder if RadioRA will actually be phased out as the capabilities of Caseta are slowly built up over time. Given how the landscape has changed since RA2 was introduced, specifically the emergence of so many lower-cost solutions (on the low end) and HomeWorks (on the high end), it seems like RA is a product stuck in the middle, making it relatively uncompetitive for the the functionality that it delivers for the cost.

Lutron's Caseta was aimed strictly at the market BELOW where Ra2 fits in. Look at the average house- 33 switches and median income below that which can afford RA2 on a whole house scale. These customers live in the typical house, less than 2500 sq. ft. Boom, Caseta- now you can reach all the people that would never consider buying RA2. That being said, I would love to see fan controls I the Caseta line. With the four button Pico, most everyone's house should be a potential customer now.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    Lutron's Caseta was aimed strictly at the market BELOW where Ra2 fits in. Look at the average house- 33 switches and median income below that which can afford RA2 on a whole house scale.
    I realize that's the case today, but I don't think that will continue to be the case as Casetta continues to evolve. I have a hard time believing that Lutron will create another iteration of RA now that they have HomeWorks and an increasingly more powerful Casetta. It just doesn't seem to mesh with the market from my view.