Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RadioRa2 latency through RTI system

RadioRa2 latency through RTI system

I am having an issue with client's system. Currently using Lutron Ra2 with RTI. Full scope of system can be downloaded here, but having problem communicating with the main repeater and getting feedback. System is exhibiting latency - commands are taking several seconds to work, and using RTI iPad feedback coming back is slow. It must be said that the network is operating optimally; whatever is affecting the feedback is only Lutron. However, the Lutron app is working fine with the system. Does not make sense. Someone told me there was a way to change the frequency of the main repeater? At this point not sure what to do. Trying to figure out why the system is exhibiting latency through the control system. (The control is working fine with feedback and command execution otherwise). Anyone have/had similar experiences and possible resolutions?

Thanks, greatly appreciated.

I am by no means an expert, still learning, but it sounds like it could be high noise levels on the wifi network. You can have great signal strength but high noise. You removed Sonos but I have seem having sonos and LUTRON main repeater on the same switch cause problems.

I had a similar problem, Lutron app worked great- Control4 would take forever to execute a command. sblunden's answer fixed my problem. Check to see if the RTI programming is to each individual dimmer/switch. That would create a lot of network traffic that could cause latency (that was my Control4 problem). Try using the phantom buttons on the main repeater and having RTI activate those scenes. That cleared up my problem.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    I had a similar problem, Lutron app worked great- Control4 would take forever to execute a command. sblunden's answer fixed my problem. Check to see if the RTI programming is to each individual dimmer/switch. That would create a lot of network traffic that could cause latency (that was my Control4 problem). Try using the phantom buttons on the main repeater and having RTI activate those scenes. That cleared up my problem.
    I'm just getting started with RTI integration and fairly new to RR2. Can you explain what phantom buttons are (or point me to some info about them)?

TIA

Mark

When you program scenes 'externally' there's the possibility that the commands are going to get sent one-by-one to each switch involved in the scene. This can be very time-consuming and can cause a lot of traffic on the wireless network between the switches. Where as if you program a scene on the switches themselves, and call that it'll operate much faster as the command only gets sent once from the controller and is shared across the switches.

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    When you program scenes 'externally' there's the possibility that the commands are going to get sent one-by-one to each switch involved in the scene. This can be very time-consuming and can cause a lot of traffic on the wireless network between the switches. Where as if you program a scene on the switches themselves, and call that it'll operate much faster as the command only gets sent once from the controller and is shared across the switches.

thanks. that makes sense. i'm still not sure how I create phantom buttons though

Quote Originally Posted by mark2457 View Post
    thanks. that makes sense. i'm still not sure how I create phantom buttons though
    The buttons are already defined in the RRA2 software. They're on the repeater programming tab. You program one of them to set the lights the way you want, then you tell the RTI software to "press" that button.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
    The buttons are already defined in the RRA2 software. They're on the repeater programming tab. You program one of them to set the lights the way you want, then you tell the RTI software to "press" that button.
    found it. thanks