I installed 6 Lutron MACL-153MR-WH dimmers. Everything went fine and all the dimmers work as expected. My current setup is this:
- bathroom 1: 7 recessed Cree LEDs (no hum)
- bathroom 2: 4 60W incandescent (lots of hum)
- dining (with companion dimmer): 5 60W incandescent (lots of hum on 4 bulbs, no hum on bulb 5)
- kitchen (with companion dimmer): 4 halogen 75W recessed (no hum)
- kitchen 2: 3 60W incandescent (lots of hum)
- sink: 3 halogen (no hum)
In the places where there is humming I tried swapping the bulbs with these LEDs (which all hummed at least as bad as the incandescent):
I checked the LED manufacturers' web site and they said the Lutron dimmer was compatible with their bulbs. What am I missing here? I don't want to have to replace and return 8 dimmers to get rid of this humming. Is there a bulb I haven't considered that won't hum? At this point I'm open to any type of bulb.
I should also mention the 20 year old dial dimmers that were previously in place didn't cause the exact same incandescent bulbs to hum.