Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: HWI-MI-120 newest Rev Hardware and Homeworks hardware compatible?

HWI-MI-120 newest Rev Hardware and Homeworks hardware compatible?

Has anyone added/replaced an MI in a Homeworks system with a Post-2014 MI? The last batch of MIs I received had warnings inside the box that they would only work properly with QS 7.4 or later- and as I was installing them in a QS system I updated to 7.4.

Do these same MIs work fine with Homeworks? If not, how do we expand or service these systems?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    These MIs will work fine in a HomeWorks Illumination system. The label states that if the MI is to work in HomeWorks QS, it would need version 7.4 or newer of the software for it to work. The MIs will have no issues in Illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    These MIs will work fine in a HomeWorks Illumination system. The label states that if the MI is to work in HomeWorks QS, it would need version 7.4 or newer of the software for it to work. The MIs will have no issues in Illumination.
    Thanks for the confirmation, Armando.

I've looked on a couple of MIs for the date code but have not been able to find any. Where on the MI is it?

The HWI-MI-120 datecode is rubber-stamped on the front of the PC board, along the left side. It is under the metal cover, so the PC board must be removed for it to be visible.

If the MI datecode is L02 (January 2003) or higher, it will work with HWQS software versions 7.4/8.1 or higher. If it is older, it is not compatible with any HWQS version.

It is difficult to remove the MI cover to see this mark. You could also look at the RPM modules in the same panel to get an idea of the general vintage of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim S. View Post
    The HWI-MI-120 datecode is rubber-stamped on the front of the PC board, along the left side. It is under the metal cover, so the PC board must be removed for it to be visible.

If the MI datecode is L02 (January 2003) or higher, it will work with HWQS software versions 7.4/8.1 or higher. If it is older, it is not compatible with any HWQS version.

It is difficult to remove the MI cover to see this mark. You could also look at the RPM modules in the same panel to get an idea of the general vintage of the system.
    I'm confused. I thought MIs with date codes Jan 2003-Dec 2014 was compatible with ANY QS rev. Any MI with a date code after 2014 MUST be used with QS 7.4/8.1 or higher. Your note above reads differently.

Can you please correct me if I've got that wrong?

Yes, this can be a bit confusing.

If you have HWI-MI-120 interfaces older than January 2003, they are not compatible with Homeworks QS.

If you have newer MIs and are using HWQS revisions 7.4/8.1beta or higher, then you are fine.

If you have newer MIs and are using an older revision of HWQS software, there have been isolated instances where the lights have a delay before turning on, or the MI fails during a project transfer. For this reason, we would recommend using revisions 7.4/8.1beta, but the system may work fine with an older revision of software.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim S. View Post
    Yes, this can be a bit confusing.

If you have HWI-MI-120 interfaces older than January 2003, they are not compatible with Homeworks QS.

If you have newer MIs and are using HWQS revisions 7.4/8.1beta or higher, then you are fine.

If you have newer MIs and are using an older revision of HWQS software, there have been isolated instances where the lights have a delay before turning on, or the MI fails during a project transfer. For this reason, we would recommend using revisions 7.4/8.1beta, but the system may work fine with an older revision of software.
    Thank you for the clarification. The newer MIs come with a piece of paper that states you MUST use 7.4 or 8.1 or later. I had no luck trying to add these new MIs to a project running QS 6.1- they always failed during a transfer. I replaced those MIs with older MIs and kept QS 6.1 with no more issues.