Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Gas Fireplace

Gas Fireplace

What's peoples thoughts on operating a gas fire from a HomeWorksQS system (should it be done? best method for safe operation? etc.)

The fireplace system is fully automated and self monitoring, with a volt-free CCI to activate/deactivate the firing process. I would use a QS-IO unit to achieve the control, but what are peoples thoughts on button programming.

My first thoughts are to have the fireplace activated from its own dedicated button on the room keypad, with press and hold programming to avoid accidental activation.

However, the homeowner will undoubtedly want the fireplace to activate on certain room scenes for ease and effect. In this case perhaps an "Armed" button which will toggle the fireplaces readiness to fire should it be included on a chosen scene button. This could be done with conditional programming and variables.

So anyway, your thoughts on how you would approach this scenario would be appreciated...

1 of my thoughts would also be to remove the integration ID for what ever your scenario turns out to be so it could never be controlled by 3rd party or the Lutron app remotely. I would want to make it so you physicaly have to press a button from within the room the fireplace resides

3. Thanks Brand thanked for this post
    Likes ekimla, Mmontijo liked this post
    I would also recommend having the fireplace only controlled via a timer sequence. In my case, I created a 2 hr sequence that shuts off the fireplace. That way it never runs for too long if accidentally left unattended. i guess it will suck when the furnace breaks down... meh, what's safer though?

What i'd like to see is a better way to allow the dynamic keypad to display a fireplace icon or something that can trigger the fireplace through a timer sequence. Controlling the CCO directly is bad, yet it ain't intuitive to navigate to a keypad page under the "LIGHTS" icon.

5. Thanks Brand thanked for this post
    Likes Mmontijo liked this post
    We control fireplaces on most of our projects.

Typically with toggle control with a few off events at night for redundancy. Sometimes we use a sequence to turn it off after a set period of time, as mentioned above.

We use the same idea to control infrared patio heaters, outdoor torches, etc. with the use of a relay rated for the application.

7. Thanks Brand thanked for this post
    Likes Mmontijo liked this post
    I've controlled the Gas Fireplace in my own home with my Homeworks system for over 3 years now. The only problem I have is that I like to use the Fireplace as a heat source during power outages.... since I do not have a generator the Homeworks system is not active so I have to go down to the processor and manually jump the contact closure. I'd install a manual override switch somewhere near the fireplace if I had to do it all over again...... (or buy a generator).

9. Thanks Brand thanked for this post
    Likes schalliol liked this post
    like everyone else said- set up a 2hr sequence, make a single-action button, press= fireplace off; 1 second hold= fireplace on.

This helps to ensure that the fireplace is intentionally turned on, not just pressed accidentally when fumbling for the lights.

Check the emergency level programming in any MI devices in case you make use of the manual override.

Make sure the gas log guy is there the day you are commissioning it- one job I had the gas lines were so big and empty that the gas guy spent a few hours bleeding until the logset had enough gas to ignite.

11. Thanks Brand thanked for this post
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Job has been massively postponed, but when I do get round to it I will be using a timer sequence as per suggestions.

Thanks again.

We have controlled them in the past, although not my favorite thing to be "in control" of. I program them to turn off on single press, and on with a double tap. Press and hold would also work. This attempts to alleviate the "accidental" bump of the button. I then program the "off" to Goodnight, Area Off, Goodbye, etc. etc.

- - - Updated - - -

We have controlled them in the past, although not my favorite thing to be "in control" of. I program them to turn off on single press, and on with a double tap. Press and hold would also work. This attempts to alleviate the "accidental" bump of the button. I then program the "off" to Goodnight, Area Off, Goodbye, etc. etc.