Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Problem with setting static IP for processors.

Problem with setting static IP for processors.

I have a 2 processor QS system and am trying to assign a static IP to enable remote access using the home control +app. The problem is once I have assigned a static IP to both processors after a transfer I find the static IP has not been used by the processor but a random address assigned instead? What makes it more odd is that the IP address assigned is out of the DHCP range of the router.

Once I solve this issue, can someone advise how to setup remote home control from within the UK as I don't see the option in the app. Many Thanks in advance.

Are you actually trying to set a static IP address in the processors, or are they using DHCP and your router is giving them a reserved IP address? The latter is a much better approach, in almost all cases.

Hi. Yes I'm setting a static IP in the processor settings. That's what is odd, when doing a network scan the processor is a completely different IP address to what was set.

Try using your router's reserved IP address table instead. That usually works better.

5. Likes jkvossen liked this post
    Put in a MAC address reservation in your router that matches the IP that you want; configure the QS processor for DHCP. This will allow you to get the desired (static) IP address every time.

7. Thanks wkearney99 thanked for this post
    Likes wkearney99 liked this post
    Until someone decides to replace the router.

Quote Originally Posted by mehuneau View Post
    Until someone decides to replace the router.
    Then lots of things are likely to change, this is not news nor does it invalidate using a DHCP lease for devices to help make sure they continue to get the same address regardless of their local configuration.

By all means, definitely set devices to use a static address. Then go into the router config and set up a DHCP lease for that very same address. Most routers these days will allow you to set up a DHCP lease that may fall outside the pool of addresses it might use for un-reserved lease requests. But even if it doesn't, set the static address to one in the pool. I've found over the years that most routers issue leases from low to high. So if you have a range running from 192.168.x.63 up to 192.168.x.200 then favor using the addresses from 200 downward. This isn't guaranteed, of course, but it certainly can help avoid trouble if the router gets misconfigured or replaced.

An important thing to check when DHCP leases aren't acting right is the MAC address on the devices. Make sure the hardware ID on the devices matches up with the lease. It's possible to confuse things now and then.

Likewise, look at the leases devices are being given. Most interactive devices (computers, tablets, phones, etc) will have a detail page and on that should be the IP address that gave them the lease. Make sure that jibes with what you have configured for issuing leases. It's entirely possible there's more than one device on the network accidentally configured to act as a DHCP server. This is a BAD THING and SHOULD NEVER BE DONE. At least not without a VERY confident set of reasons for it and special steps taken to avoid overlaps. So if someone added another consumer-grade router to act as an access point (to extend wifi, for example) they may have accidentally left it's DHCP service active.

10. Likes jkvossen liked this post
    multiple DHCP servers on the same network is a "terrible thing". Now having said that, I have configured multiple DHCP servers before but you have to make **** sure that the addresses that are being handed out do *not* overlap.

Yeah, I've done it for larger enterprise networks, especially if there were any connectivity bottlenecks. Routers can be configured to specifically forward DHCP requests to a server, but sometimes that wouldn't work. The most important thing was making sure anything handing out the leases provided the same information without overlapping addresses. As in, properly coordinated DNS, gateway and other information.

In a residential setting, however, it's highly unlikely to be necessary. That said, it's trivially easy for someone to do it accidentally by connecting more than one routing device. As in, someone thinks it'd help to put an extra WiFi router on the network in order to improve signal coverage. Done right, you can generally reconfigure most entry-level SOHO (small office, home office) routers to do this. The key being to 'downgrade' the device from being a router to being only an access point. As in, just a slaved WiFi radio link to the main network. But some devices will still keep trying to issue their own IP addresses via DHCP to their WiFi connection. This, likewise, needs to be disabled and the WiFi network set up as 'bridged' to the main network (not it's own subnet). This usually also means setting an entry somewhere in the access point configs to point to the IP address of the main router (or other device) that handles all of the network's DHCP requests. Likewise, make sure the hard wired ethernet connection into the access point is using the right port. Some have 5 (or more) ports with one of them used as a WAN (internet) connection. When downgraded to an access point some lose the ability to use that WAN port, or require a few added steps to bring it into the same subnet as the rest.