Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Adding a plug-in dimmer on top of a switch

Adding a plug-in dimmer on top of a switch

I currently have a switched outlet with two table lamps plugged into it. I would like to add dimming capability to these lamps, just not sure the best way to do so.

The top half of the receptacle is switched on/off via wall switch, the bottom half is always on. I think if I just replaced the wall switch with a dimmer I'm asking for trouble because there's not enough current flowing, am I correct? If I use a plug in dimmer on top part of the outlet and a Caseta switch, that would give me dimming capability while still maintaining on/off control via the wall switch, but I'd actually have to turn the light on in two spots, at the switch and the plug in dimmer, which is annoying. Would this also result in lag?

Thoughts on the best way to accomplish this? Thanks.

Use a plug in dimmer in the bottom outlet. Install a wall mount pico next to the existing switch. Leave the existing switch to control the top outlet.

Thanks, but the bottom outlet is needed for other electronics and there's no more room in the gang box. I'm feeling like it's just better to leave them switched instead of dimmed if that'll be the most seamless option.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazplex View Post
    I currently have a switched outlet with two table lamps plugged into it. I would like to add dimming capability to these lamps, just not sure the best way to do so.

The top half of the receptacle is switched on/off via wall switch, the bottom half is always on. I think if I just replaced the wall switch with a dimmer I'm asking for trouble because there's not enough current flowing, am I correct? If I use a plug in dimmer on top part of the outlet and a Caseta switch, that would give me dimming capability while still maintaining on/off control via the wall switch, but I'd actually have to turn the light on in two spots, at the switch and the plug in dimmer, which is annoying. Would this also result in lag?

Thoughts on the best way to accomplish this? Thanks.
    Tazplex,

Another option would be to remove the existing switch in the wall and tie the wires together with a wirenut which would make the top half of the receptacle always on. You could then mount a Pico remote in place of the removed switch and pair it to a plug-in dimmer that you would install in the top half of the receptacle. If you decide to go this route you'll want to be sure to purchase a Pico wall-mount adapter (PICO-WBX-ADAPT) in order to attach the Pico to the wallbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
    Tazplex,

Another option would be to remove the existing switch in the wall and tie the wires together with a wirenut which would make the top half of the receptacle always on. You could then mount a Pico remote in place of the removed switch and pair it to a plug-in dimmer that you would install in the top half of the receptacle. If you decide to go this route you'll want to be sure to purchase a Pico wall-mount adapter (PICO-WBX-ADAPT) in order to attach the Pico to the wallbox.
    Perfect, that will accomplish what I'm after!!

thanks