Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Device Wattage not supported

Anna W.

Device Wattage not supported

We received this question from a customer, and thought others might be interested in this topic...

If I know that I am using the correct dimmer for the LED, why do I have to fake out the value in the software?

Authorized Lutron Contributor

RE: Device Wattage not supported

You do not have to enter a wattage. The wattage is for design purposes. The system will work perfectly fine with zero wattage entered. Anything entered below ten and is not zero will give you this error.

Yup - this goes for HWQS, too. Wattage is only used for design purposes and will not actually drive any different behavior in the dimmer in terms of function. However if you feel like a particular wattage value should be compatible with a dimmer (ex. above minimum wattage) but the software is disallowing it, please let us know. That would be a software bug.

Anna W.

Quote Originally Posted by KPhillips
    You do not have to enter a wattage. The wattage is for design purposes. The system will work perfectly fine with zero wattage entered. Anything entered below ten and is not zero will give you this error.
    What reasons would enter a value in design, only incandescent? Is there some benefit to entering the correct value?

Quote Originally Posted by AMP
    Quote Originally Posted by KPhillips
    What reasons would enter a value in design, only incandescent? Is there some benefit to entering the correct value?
    When you enter the wattage if it exceeds the capacity of the dimmer the software will automatically either change the dimmer to one that handle handle that load or will enter add the proper interface if necessary. If you do not enter the wattage the dealer would need to keep tack of that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna W. View Post
    Besides changing the dimmer based on load, the software can also accommodate ganging and derating in it's determination of which dimmer to select.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols