Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Motion sensor question, some on & more off?

Motion sensor question, some on & more off?

Is it possible to program the motion sensors to activate only one or two lights, but also program more for the off setting?

For example, when motion is sensed, turn on just a table lamp. But after the delay, turn off that and any others that might be in the same space.

As in, the kids go into the basement, so the table lamp comes on. While down there they turn on a bunch of other lights (recessed cans, pool table, etc). Once no occupancy is detected it'd be nice to be able to turn all of them off.

When using the 7.8 Inclusive software any lights added to the Unoccupied selection also get added to the Occupied section. Is there no way to have a different set of devices in the two sections on a single sensor?

Obviously we could add a second sensor and have them each handle occupied & unoccupied separately, but that presents additional devices on the walls, added cost and long-term maintenance of batteries.

I have not programmed my system to confirm how this works, but you do have the option (at least in 8.1) to select "unaffected" under Occupied and/or Unoccupied. This should allow some loads to not be affected by occupancy regardless of their on/off state, yet be turned off when unoccupied state is satisfied.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    Is it possible to program the motion sensors to activate only one or two lights, but also program more for the off setting?

For example, when motion is sensed, turn on just a table lamp. But after the delay, turn off that and any others that might be in the same space.

As in, the kids go into the basement, so the table lamp comes on. While down there they turn on a bunch of other lights (recessed cans, pool table, etc). Once no occupancy is detected it'd be nice to be able to turn all of them off.

When using the 7.8 Inclusive software any lights added to the Unoccupied selection also get added to the Occupied section. Is there no way to have a different set of devices in the two sections on a single sensor?

Obviously we could add a second sensor and have them each handle occupied & unoccupied separately, but that presents additional devices on the walls, added cost and long-term maintenance of batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by trx250r87 View Post
    I have not programmed my system to confirm how this works, but you do have the option (at least in 8.1) to select "unaffected" under Occupied and/or Unoccupied.
    Excellent! I see that in 8.1 Inclusive. When selecting the device, the drop-down menu for Dimmer Level has an item at the bottom for 'Unaffected'. That's exactly what I need.

THANKS! To both you and Paul.

Tangentially, how is the shut-off override handled when multiple devices are involved? As in, with just one device it's possible to manually tap a device off and the motion sensor won't bring it back on again until the timeout period has passed. Which is handy in that it allows for turning a light off (out of habit) without having motion immediately turning it back on again. How is that affected when there's more than one device involved?

Quote Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
    Excellent! I see that in 8.1 Inclusive. When selecting the device, the drop-down menu for Dimmer Level has an item at the bottom for 'Unaffected'. That's exactly what I need.

THANKS! To both you and Paul.

Tangentially, how is the shut-off override handled when multiple devices are involved? As in, with just one device it's possible to manually tap a device off and the motion sensor won't bring it back on again until the timeout period has passed. Which is handy in that it allows for turning a light off (out of habit) without having motion immediately turning it back on again. How is that affected when there's more than one device involved?
    Bill, I would assume it works like this (my assumption): It triggers "ON" with motion sending programmed lights to level. It should not matter what happens locally as it's still sensing motion. If in that same sensing cycle you turn off a device Manually, it should still be in the same motion cycle waiting for no motion, not reacting to new motion. So the light should remain off and when no motion occurs it should time out and shut the other as well. It's basically like a toggle button on a keypad. (Let me know if I'm wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by paulhanks View Post
    (Let me know if I'm wrong)
    You are right.