Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta Smart Bridge Pro Internet Usage

Caseta Smart Bridge Pro Internet Usage

Is there any information on how much internet bandwidth the smart bridge pro will use in a month?

I have an install in a rural home where internet services come through the cellular phone network. As a result internet usage is always an issue with the service plan MBs being capped per month.

After installing the smart bridge pro there is concern that the bridge has caused internet usage to increase by several hundred MBs some days.

My understanding is that when using the Caseta app that the app talks to cloud and the cloud to the bridge, but does that communication consume a large amount of MBs?

And if control is done through local Pico units or scheduled events, it is my understand that is handled locally without any internet traffic being generated, is that correct?

Also, does the bridge do firmware updates or other things in the background that might consume internet MBs? Is there any way to manage those activities?

Right now the installation is at risk because of the concerns over the amount of internet traffic it may be generating.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham019 View Post
    Is there any information on how much internet bandwidth the smart bridge pro will use in a month?

I have an install in a rural home where internet services come through the cellular phone network. As a result internet usage is always an issue with the service plan MBs being capped per month.

After installing the smart bridge pro there is concern that the bridge has caused internet usage to increase by several hundred MBs some days.

My understanding is that when using the Caseta app that the app talks to cloud and the cloud to the bridge, but does that communication consume a large amount of MBs?

And if control is done through local Pico units or scheduled events, it is my understand that is handled locally without any internet traffic being generated, is that correct?

Also, does the bridge do firmware updates or other things in the background that might consume internet MBs? Is there any way to manage those activities?

Right now the installation is at risk because of the concerns over the amount of internet traffic it may be generating.
    Graham019,

The estimated internet bandwidth usage per month for the Smart Bridge Pro is between 20-100MBs. This will all depend on how often the Lutron App is used and if any firmware updates are released. The Smart Bridge will check for a firmware update every night randomly between 2-3AM. If an update is available the Smart Bridge Pro will automatically update.

3. Thanks SDR-Mike thanked for this post