Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Nest with HWQS

Nest with HWQS

Can I connect a Nest Thermostat with a HomeWorks QS System?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    If the Nest Thermostat can send Ethernet or RS-232 messages to the HomeWorks QS system, it will be able to integrate with it.

On the other hand, our Caseta Wireless system will now be directly integrating with the Nest hub and the Caseta app will be able to display feedback from the Nest Thermostat and it can send commands to the Nest hub to control it.

Yes, I know it that, but my question is about integration with HomeWorks QS. Is it possible to integrate or not?.

One of our clients likes Nest thermostat and he would like in his house with HomeWorks QS but I think that isn't possible to integrate.

I am curious, how do you think it should be integrated. What do think you should be able to achieve by integrating Nest with HWQS?

When you connect the Nest to the LAN, the Nest has an IP. I think that is possible to send commands by the LAN.

Actually I was trying to understand what the end goal is. Like, do you want to control Home/Away from HWQS keypad, or something else?

I think the idea is, if you select a temperature in the Nest, it sends a command to Lutron and Lutron understands if need to activate heat floor or cool machine (Fancoil for example) until the temperature is right. When the temparature is ok, Nest sends a new command to desactivate the heat or cool.

I hope you undestand.

Yes, I understand. I don't think what you are asking for is possible. Problem is, even though Nest is connected to your local network, it does not allow local control. All communications to and from Nest thermostat must happen through nest.com servers. I am not sure if you would want your heating or cooling to be dependent on your internet connection.

Best way to connect heating and cooling equipment to the Nest would be by hard wiring it to the Nest, and if it is not 24V system, you would have to use relays.

9. Thanks franmejias thanked for this post
    Likes franmejias, Armando B. liked this post