Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Using HomeWorks QS to Control a HomeWorks Illumination System

Authorized Lutron Contributor

Using HomeWorks QS to Control a HomeWorks Illumination System

Limitation Warning:
    While it is possible to control a HomeWorks Illumination system using a HomeWorks QS system, LED feedback based on Homeworks Illumination states will NOT be visible to HWQS.

Requirements for Each System:

HomeWorks Illumination:

• Unique telnet username/password for the HWQS system must be created under Link 9 of the Illumination project file.
      • In the Address Assignment screen, select Link 9: enter in a new telnet username and password to be used by the HWQS system; be sure to leave all monitoring/suppression un-checked.

• Connect Link 9 to the on-site router using an Ethernet cable.
      • Everything should be suppressed and nothing should be monitored.

• Set a static IP address to the Illumination processor.
    • Complete an upload.

HomeWorks QS:

• Create a new command set for the Illumination system.
      1. At the top of the screen, go to "Tools" -> "Edit Command Sets."
      2. Name the command set "HomeWorks Illumination."
      3. "Check" the "Use RS232 terminator" and select "<LF> (0A)" and "<CR> (0D)" from the drop-down menu.
      4. Add the desired commands to the command set using the HomeWorks Illumination Protocol (attached).

• Create an instance of a 3rd-party device in the software.
      1. In the "design" tab, "define equipment" task, add a "Control 3rd party" device (may need to add it from the Toolbox).
      2. Name the device to "HomeWorks Illumination System"
      3. Enter the static IP address of the HWI processor. Enter the HWI telnet username and password in the HWQS software under the 3rd-party "username" field in this format without quotes or greater-than/less-than signs: "<username>,<password>"
        • "Password" field should be left BLANK!

4. Change the "Edit Commands Sets" column to "HomeWorks Illumination."
      5. Program 3rd-party integration command instances to buttons accordingly throughout the HWQS project.
      6. Complete a transfer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Thanks Vic F. thanked for this post
    Likes Vic F. liked this post

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Armando B. View Post
    Limitation Warning:
    While it is possible to control a HomeWorks Illumination system using a HomeWorks QS system, LED feedback based on Homeworks Illumination states will NOT be visible to HWQS.

HomeWorks Illumination:

• Unique telnet username/password for the HWQS system must be created under Link 9 of the Illumination project file.
      • In the Address Assignment screen, select Link 9: enter in a new telnet username and password to be used by the HWQS system; be sure to leave all monitoring/suppression un-checked.

• Complete an upload.

HomeWorks QS:

3. "Check" the "Use RS232 terminator" and select "<LF> (0A)" and "<CR> (0D)" from the drop-down menu.
      4. Add the desired commands to the command set using the HomeWorks Illumination Protocol (attached).

1. In the "design" tab, "define equipment" task, add a "Control 3rd party" device (may need to add it from the Toolbox).
      3. Enter the static IP address of the HWI processor. Enter the HWI telnet username and password in the HWQS software under the 3rd-party "username" field in this format without quotes or greater-than/less-than signs: "<username>,<password>"

5. Program 3rd-party integration command instances to buttons accordingly throughout the HWQS project.
      6. Complete a transfer.
    I tried this and I was expecting it to be all or nothing - either the processors wouldn't connect and it wouldn't work or they would connect and it would work.
    But what I am getting is a HUGE delay between the time the QS button is pressed and the button press is received by the Illumination system - a single button press was taking 70 seconds on average to execute -- with another 70 seconds or so between the execution of multiple consecutive button presses.

The system is not even on a real network so there shouldn't be a traffic issue - I currently have both processors connected to a stand-alone wireless router that has very little security enabled and no internet access ( the one I carry around with me for system set-up). The only devices connected are the 2 processors.
    Any ideas???

I'm probably just going to put in a NWK like I usually do, at this point even if I get it working I'm not sure I trust it to remain solid once it is connected to a really network with actual traffic and stuff

Barbara,

Thank you for this feedback. Would you be able to send the following information to hwsupport@lutron.com and reference this forum post for us to further investigate this application? Thank you.

- A support File From the HomeWorks QS system. While connected to the processor, go to "help->support->create support file"
    - A support File From the HomeWorks Illumination System. While connected to the processor, go to terminal and "file->create support file".
    - In the HomeWorks QS system, after testing a few commands, please connect into "Tools->Terminal" and send the command "outboundconnections". Right click on the Terminal screen and choose to "Save Log".
    - A wireshark capture using HomeWorks QS following the steps below:

- Connect the free Ethernet port on the processor directly to your computer.
    - Have the Lutron processor sit on the network with other third party devices
    - Go to "tools->Terminal" and send the command "#repeatermode, enable"
    - Open wireshark and connect it to the NIC card in your computer that is connected to the processor
    - If you do not have the wireshark program, it can be downloaded for free. Search "wireshark" on google and click on "download"
    - Press "Start" to start the capture on the program.
    - Reproduce the issue
    - Save the capture and send it to us for analysis
    - Log in to the processor in terminal again and send the command "#repeatermode, disable"
    - We would also want to see a support file to go along with the wireshark capture while connected to the processor after performing this testing.

*************************UPDATE******************* ********
    Please use the following steps as there have been a few edits:

HomeWorks Illumination:

• In the Address Assignment screen, select Link 9: enter in a new telnet username and password to be used by the HWQS system; be sure to leave all monitoring un-checked.
      • Please suppress the prompt and replied
      • Bad commands can be left unsuppressed

• Complete an upload.

HomeWorks QS:

3. "Check" the "Use RS232 terminator" and select "<CR> (0D)" and "<LF> (0A)" (in that order) from the drop-down menu.

6. Complete a transfer.

- - - Updated - - -

*************************UPDATE******************* ********
    Please use the following steps as there have been a few edits:

HomeWorks Illumination:

• In the Address Assignment screen, select Link 9: enter in a new telnet username and password to be used by the HWQS system; be sure to leave all monitoring un-checked.
      • Please suppress the prompt and replied
      • Bad commands can be left unsuppressed

• Complete an upload.

HomeWorks QS:

3. "Check" the "Use RS232 terminator" and select "<CR> (0D)" and "<LF> (0A)" (in that order) from the drop-down menu.

6. Complete a transfer.

First, it would be helpful if you highlighted the changes.

Secondly - the thing I find interesting is that now you are saying that the prompt and replies should be suppressed in the Illumination system.
    I reported a problem in another thread where I was getting delays of over a full minute between the button press in QS and the execution of the Illumination command. When we looked into it further we had suppressed the replies and the prompt and the problem was resolved when we unchecked the suppression.

7. Thanks digit1 thanked for this post
    Likes digit1 liked this post
    Hi
    I just tried the updated procedure and it is wrong .If you leave the monitor "keypad buttons" and "keypad led,s" un checked the delay is 30-50 seconds however if you tick them the response is extremely quick

Thank you for this feedback. We have had different reports from dealers were it has worked best for them when the monitoring is checked, and we have also had reports of better performance when it was unchecked. We would recommend trying both to verify which configuration works best for your application.

Is it still not possible to monitor LED feedback on a QS system from an Illumination system? Our designer spoke with Tim in tech support and he made it sound like you can now.

Hi Brandon

I spoke to technical support after I tried to get this to work and he informed me that the QS system would respond to led feedback as well as cuircut feedback .In fact he said that it would respond to and information sent out by the Homework system .However I have not managed to get this to wok on anything else but keypad button presses (which I got to work extremely well)

Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    Hi Brandon

I spoke to technical support after I tried to get this to work and he informed me that the QS system would respond to led feedback as well as cuircut feedback .In fact he said that it would respond to and information sent out by the Homework system .However I have not managed to get this to wok on anything else but keypad button presses (which I got to work extremely well)

Thanks for the response! How did you go about monitoring the KBP on QS that were coming from Illumination?