Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Caseta Switch (PD-5S-DV-WH) for Ceiling fan on/off?

Caseta Switch (PD-5S-DV-WH) for Ceiling fan on/off?

Can the Lutron Caseta on/off switch (model PD-5S-DV-WH) be used to control a typical Hunter ceiling fan?

Fan speed is controlled through a pull-chain on the fan itself (and I'm OK with that staying that way).

There is a double gang J-box in the wall that holds two switches -- one for the fan motor (I'd like to replace this with the
    PD-5S-DV-WH switch) and one for the fan light (I'd like to replace this with the Caseta in-wall dimmer). Will this approach work?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinwreck001 View Post
    Can the Lutron Caseta on/off switch (model PD-5S-DV-WH) be used to control a typical Hunter ceiling fan?

Fan speed is controlled through a pull-chain on the fan itself (and I'm OK with that staying that way).

There is a double gang J-box in the wall that holds two switches -- one for the fan motor (I'd like to replace this with the
    PD-5S-DV-WH switch) and one for the fan light (I'd like to replace this with the Caseta in-wall dimmer). Will this approach work?
    ramblinwreck001,

The PD-5WS-DV can switch a general purpose fan. The minimum load requirement is 0.4A and the maximum is 3.0A. If the Hunter fan meets those requirements then you will be able to switch the fan with the PD-5WS-DV.

This information is found in the spec sheet (http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369831_ENG.pdf).

5S vs 5WS

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P. View Post
    ramblinwreck001,

The PD-5WS-DV can switch a general purpose fan. The minimum load requirement is 0.4A and the maximum is 3.0A. If the Hunter fan meets those requirements then you will be able to switch the fan with the PD-5WS-DV.

This information is found in the spec sheet (http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...369831_ENG.pdf).
    He asked about the 5S, you responded with the 5WS. What's the difference? Why didn't you answer the question regarding the 5s?

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingold View Post
    He asked about the 5S, you responded with the 5WS. What's the difference? Why didn't you answer the question regarding the 5s?
    The PD-5S-DV can switch a fan. Here's the spec sheet for it:http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/369787.pdf .

The difference between the PD-5S-DV and the PD-5WS-DV is the following:
    The PD-5WS-DV is a Caseta switch and can be used as part of the Caseta system.
    The PD-5S-DV is part of our Energi TriPak line of products and can only be controlled by either a Pico remote control, or by an LRF2 occupancy/vacancy sensor.

Ceiling fans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    The PD-5S-DV can switch a fan. Here's the spec sheet for it:http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...ary/369787.pdf .

The difference between the PD-5S-DV and the PD-5WS-DV is the following:
    The PD-5WS-DV is a Caseta switch and can be used as part of the Caseta system.
    The PD-5S-DV is part of our Energi TriPak line of products and can only be controlled by either a Pico remote control, or by an LRF2 occupancy/vacancy sensor.
    I'm tired of having to use multiple apps and multiple brand systems! I'm currently adding 5 ceiling fans to my house and I'd like to use Lutron equipment. Since there currently isn't anything from Lutron, I bought one Inston Fanlinc to test it out. It actually works great. The integration with Amazon's Echo makes it even better. The bummer part is another app and an additional hub. Is Lutron working on a fan controller? Is Lutron going to work directly with Echo anytime soon?

Three things I missing from the Lutron and the Caseta line.

1) Fan switch
    2) Fan and light dimmer switch in one pole
    3) Amazon Echo support (without IFTTT)

I would say Google Weave support too, but Google doesn't seem to be pushing that (publicly).

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by drhill View Post
    Three things I missing from the Lutron and the Caseta line.

1) Fan switch
    2) Fan and light dimmer switch in one pole
    3) Amazon Echo support (without IFTTT)

I would say Google Weave support too, but Google doesn't seem to be pushing that (publicly).
    I've forwarded your system requests to our developmental engineers. Thank you for the suggestions. Stay tuned for future updates to the system!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    I've forwarded your system requests to our developmental engineers. Thank you for the suggestions. Stay tuned for future updates to the system!
    Thanks Brian. The lack of both fan switches surprises me. There are maestro equivalents but that doesn't lend itself to automation and with real Echo support that would be very nice. I find it annoying to get my phone to change settings (not a fan of touch screen remotes) and don't like a bunch of remotes lying about causing clutter. I could see myself buying another 5-20 caseta switching depending on how (excessively) fancy I want to get if it were as easy as telling the echo to turn on/off/dim a light or zone.

Also surprised their is a favorite level button on the Caseta remotes, but not on the actual switches... that's just silly. Also surprising is I finally saw there is a "normal" on/off switch in the Casetta line but it is $20 more than the dimmer and hard to find. That seems odd.