Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edison Style LED Bulb with Caseta C.L. Dimmer

Edison Style LED Bulb with Caseta C.L. Dimmer

Hey folks,

I tried out one of those fancy new Edison Style LED bulbs with my Caseta dimmer yesterday. It didn't quite work right. With a Phillips bulb on the same circuit, it was functional, but without the Phillips bulb, it flashed constantly. I made a video about it on youtube: http://youtu.be/VWbYcRhlZTI?list=UUG...rBdaEBZCH9YRbQ (Skip to 5:05 to see the flashing.)

Is there any way to update the firmware on these dimmers so these bulbs work properly?

--
    Jesse
    CreateThis.com

That type of bulb is interesting. Do you only have 1 or have you tried 2?

Quote Originally Posted by az1324 View Post
    Just one so far. I ordered three different brands via Amazon and this was the first to arrive. I'll try it inline with the others when they arrive and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by az1324 View Post
    I received two other brands of these Edison style LED bulbs a couple of days ago. I tested them with the bulb in the video. Same results. One bulb did stay on continuously, rather than flash, but none of them were dimmable without the phillips bulb inline.

Quote Originally Posted by createthis View Post
    I received two other brands of these Edison style LED bulbs a couple of days ago. I tested them with the bulb in the video. Same results. One bulb did stay on continuously, rather than flash, but none of them were dimmable without the phillips bulb inline.
    Have you tried adding an incandescent bulb in parallel to this fixture as a test? If it works with that connected, Lutron does sell a synthetic light load. It adds a constant resistance to the load to help the dimmer perform better. I have had to add resistance on several of my LED light circuits to get them to stop flickering. So far it has worked every time.

Quote Originally Posted by waslost1 View Post
    Have you tried adding an incandescent bulb in parallel to this fixture as a test? If it works with that connected, Lutron does sell a synthetic light load. It adds a constant resistance to the load to help the dimmer perform better. I have had to add resistance on several of my LED light circuits to get them to stop flickering. So far it has worked every time.
    Yes, it does work with an incandescent. This synthetic light load... how many watts does it draw? I'm curious how much it would negate the efficiency of the LEDs.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by createthis View Post
    Yes, it does work with an incandescent. This synthetic light load... how many watts does it draw? I'm curious how much it would negate the efficiency of the LEDs.
    It is somewhere in the 10 watt area if I recall correctly. If you are handy with Ohms law you can calculate out what you want and build your own as I did. I just used a 25Watt 1.5kOhm resistor. Note the wattage of the resistor is the maximum it can handle, not what it consumes. This resistor consumes about 10 watts when the lights are at full brightness. Ohms law will show you that as you dim the lights, the consumption will diminish so in reality, the load is minimal if you often use the lights dimmed. Just make sure you understand, 10 watts can start a fire. It will get hot! Make sure you locate this somewhere that can dissipate the heat into the air and not into your walls. Lutron makes a nice unit that has big heat sinks on it and is set up for a typical consumer who does not want to engineer their own solution. Good luck.

The Lutron synthetic load information can be found here. Sorry, I forgot to post that earlier.
    http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum.../LUT-LBX-1.pdf

I have 3 Edison bulbs running successfully in my dining room so it may be something with the circuit. Did you ever test it with additional loading?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Nickolaus View Post
    I have 3 Edison bulbs running successfully in my dining room so it may be something with the circuit. Did you ever test it with additional loading?
    In the first video, I tried it with another LED bulb known to work. It worked fine that way. Later, I tried two other brands I found online. None worked. Time passed.

A few days ago I was shopping for plumbing parts in a local box store and saw an LED Edison on the shelf. Took it home and tested it. Seems to work fine all by itself. Here's the video review:
    https://youtu.be/tSEekpmsNnM

Seems like some bulbs just defeat the Lutron Caseta "auto detect" routine. Not sure how, but it's pretty clear it happens. Shrug.

11. Thanks asherrick thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast