Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4 way switch question?

4 way switch question?

The advanced instal guide shows a method to use a single CASETA ON/OFF switch with 2 additional existing on/off switches in a 3 way scenario. The instructions show a different method using a Caseta switch and 3 picos for a 4 way scenario. Is it possible to use the Caseta switch with 3 additional traditional on/off switches using the same wiring method as the 3 way? Or would you need to do something different. I am extremely concerned that one of my existing would be outside the range of the hub.

Thanks in advance.

The advanced install guide shows a method to use a single CASETA ON/OFF switch with ONE additional existing on/off switch in a 3 way scenario.

The only way to use more than one standard switch is if the circuit's line and load are available in the same box separate from any traveller wires, which is atypical. But you could use two Pico's and one switch. Remember the range is often much greater than stated.

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by hgmobile View Post
    The advanced instal guide shows a method to use a single CASETA ON/OFF switch with 2 additional existing on/off switches in a 3 way scenario. The instructions show a different method using a Caseta switch and 3 picos for a 4 way scenario. Is it possible to use the Caseta switch with 3 additional traditional on/off switches using the same wiring method as the 3 way? Or would you need to do something different. I am extremely concerned that one of my existing would be outside the range of the hub.

Thanks in advance.
    hgmobile,

When using the PD-5WS-DV in a 4-way setup, you must use two Pico Remotes to replace the other two switch locations. If you are using the PD-5WS-DV in a 3-way then you are able to use a mechanical switch in the other location.

These wiring diagrams are found on page 12 and 22 of the advanced installation guide (http://www.casetawireless.com/Docume...ced%20Inst.pdf).

Thanks Kevin,
    I have 4 switches in total controlling courtyard lighting. I really only need three of them. As one of them is in an out building that does need the switching and may be too far away I am looking for some method to leave the mechanical switch there and use PD-5WS-DV and picos at the other 3 locations. Is that mixed use case possible and how would the mechanical switch be wired ( with jumper wire - as per drawing #12 on page 11) and the pico locations wired (as per drawing #12 & 13 on page 20)?

To get the best answer you'll need to post a diagram of your specific wiring. But in general you'll be able to keep at least 1 standard switch.