Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VPN Access?

did your network change

Quote Originally Posted by vining View Post
    Ok, I've trie 8.xx too but if you have it working maybe it's my LAN setup but with this setup if I rolled back to a pre v7.xx version it would work. I'll see if I can get it working by bypassing my L2 and L3 switches and if it works then I 'll check my switch configs.
    Dumb question VAV- did your network change? I would think that if your network was the same and changing revs of the Ra2 software allows remote access then the problem isn't your network.

Quote Originally Posted by digit1 View Post
    Dumb question VAV- did your network change? I would think that if your network was the same and changing revs of the Ra2 software allows remote access then the problem isn't your network.
    Well originally the network didn't change when I tried last year or the year before and I posted that this must be a SW/FW issue in the newer releases but then recently someone said they had it work on 8.0 and I tried and still couldn't. Like the previous post I can find my master but nothing after that so I figure is one guys has it working it may be a network issue that only rears it's ugly head on the newer revs. So yes it's a SW/FW issue but in the sense that it now using the network differently. Other post/threads elude to multicast pass through on the router,etc which I have tried with no success either. Since I've change my internal network I'm now doing inter-vlan routing on my switch so if 8.0 works for others now maybe my switch setup is screwing me now. I don't know but I do know there is no support from Lutron on this subject and all I've ever wanted was a definitive answer that it does indeed work and if it does I'll look at my network config and make changes if necessary but I'm not's going to waste more time when it could be something beyond my control. As I've stated I have VPN access on all my jobs and all my equipment on those jobs except for Lutron RA2. HomeWork, AMX, HAI, etc work fine so while I'm convinced it's something stupid Lutron has done intentionally or mistakenly in the recent SW/FW revs I willing to entertain the possibility that it may work with subtle changes with network firewalls or access rules but since Lutron guys are mum and I've only read of one installer who's had success I'm not willing to waste more time pursuing this.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

If you use DD-WRT firmware on your router(s), I'd be happy to share the settings I use for VPN

I use Cisco SMB routers and have vpns working fine for every other system except RA2 which used to work. What changes have you made to your router? I've enabled and disabled multi-cast pass thru to no avail. If your able to vpn to your clients router and connect to the main repeater and transfer files on the current fw/sw rev then I'll give it another try.

Works fine in 8.2. I haven't had to make any special considerations for RR2.

I tried again from a different network (other than my office) and still no joy. I can find the repeater but can't transfer files or do anything else. It can't be anything ISP related since the coms are encapsulated in the VPN tunnel so it's got to be an issue with a router setting on the client side. The client tested has no managed switches and my router assigns me a virtual IP on the same subnet as the client. Ping works and again every other system works fine except Lutron RA2 which used too so why? Last I checked HomeWorks worked but it's been a while since I had to update any of those systems.
    VAV
    Danbury, CT

I need to be more clear. While I can remotely adjust settings like mode and individual life or temperatures, I have not tried to transfer over VPN.

Ok, you're using the remote app not the setup software. I don't care about the app I just want to be able to change the programmed config like I used to be able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by vining View Post
    Ok, you're using the remote app not the setup software. I don't care about the app I just want to be able to change the programmed config like I used to be able to do.
    Yes, I may have misread the original post, and I agree this is important. A few versions ago Lutron seems to have changed something that makes it such that I have to connect directly to the repeater with an Ethernet cable that doesn't go through switches etc instead of doing it via wireless in order to update firmware. This was not the case before perhaps 7.5 (if I recall).

I'm curious whether you've been able to update programming on the same firmware over VPN or if it's just failing wit the new firmware/software versions. I don't think it's related, but recently I've had some programming update failures that drops the repeater into Safe Mode. I think you need to be aware of the possibility of a failure over VPN that results in a system that doesn't work properly and would require you to travel to the location.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12