Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for casetawireless

Suggestions for casetawireless

Hi, I have lutron caseta dimmer. I have couple of suggestions to make caseta even better.

First - The lutron app should have an option to turn on certain lights by using geo fence. So if my iPhone is with me and I'm coming home like the lights in garage should come on.
    Second - At night I like to leave the light on till I Fall asleep it be nice if we can have a sleep timer so we can set after how many minutes or hours we want the light to stay on or dim after that certain time is over.

Third - Push notifications if a light is turned on or off at home. Maybe reminders as well if a light has been left on.

Please make it happen and you will then really turn caseta into a very smart dimmer and switch
    Thanks!

2. Likes Armando B., Kevin P. liked this post
    I would also like to add the suggestion of adding a sticky post with the current work in progress or future planned projects related to the Caseta. For example, if they are working on adding a new thermostat to the system it would be nice to know ahead of time for those who may considering replacing an old unit. It would also be nice to know what the future holds for the Caseta lineup. There are so many hubs coming out these days, it is hard to keep up with all the options. Knowing what Lutron plans to add in the future would certainly help people select the best equipment for their situation.

4. Likes Kevin P., therockhr liked this post
    You might look into IFTTT. I have an IFTTT recipe that turns my Lutron dimmers on 15 minutes before sunset & off 15 minutes after sunrise. I know the recipe could be modified for a timer (like "off in 3 hours"). I think IFTTT has a geofencing channel also, but I haven't explored that yet.
    -----
    Louisville Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by LouGeezer View Post
    You might look into IFTTT. I have an IFTTT recipe that turns my Lutron dimmers on 15 minutes before sunset & off 15 minutes after sunrise.
    Why would you ever want your home to be dependent on some company's servers in the "cloud"? If all you want is sunrise and sunset, you can easily create a scheduled scenes using Caseta app, and it will work autonomously - it will work if your internet/cable is out, it will work if the company has an outage or maintenance, it will work when this company goes belly up, and it will work more reliably, too. No?

Quote Originally Posted by Ideas101 View Post
    Hi, I have lutron caseta dimmer. I have couple of suggestions to make caseta even better.

First - The lutron app should have an option to turn on certain lights by using geo fence. So if my iPhone is with me and I'm coming home like the lights in garage should come on.
    Second - At night I like to leave the light on till I Fall asleep it be nice if we can have a sleep timer so we can set after how many minutes or hours we want the light to stay on or dim after that certain time is over.

Third - Push notifications if a light is turned on or off at home. Maybe reminders as well if a light has been left on.

Please make it happen and you will then really turn caseta into a very smart dimmer and switch
    Thanks!
    I agree with all those 100%. I'll add some more:
    1-Make a dimmer with the favorite button. In other words, make the dimmer a "3-Button with Raise/Lower" instead of a "2-Button with Raise/Lower". Whenever I enter a room, if I want my favorite setting, I have to either turn the lights on to 100% then dim them, or look for my Pico. There is no reason why the favorite button wouldn't be on the dimmer itself. If you made those, I'd probably change most of my in-wall dimmers and I'd end up forking another couple hundreds you way;

2-Make the app support landscape orientation. Everyone keeps asking for that. Even if there was only one orientation supported, landscape should be it. All the sliders in the app are horizontal and there's a big unused space at the bottom of the screen. This one is quite a no-brainer imho.

3-Make dimmable plugs. I know there are plug-in lamp dimmers you can buy that will act like dimmers, but those are bulky and ugly. It shouldn't be very hard to make a crossover between an in-wall dimmer and a plug-in dimmer to end up with some kind of in-wall plug dimmer. I would buy those, at least 2 of them tomorrow morning if they existed.

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    Why would you ever want your home to be dependent on some company's servers in the "cloud"? If all you want is sunrise and sunset, you can easily create a scheduled scenes using Caseta app, and it will work autonomously - it will work if your internet/cable is out, it will work if the company has an outage or maintenance, it will work when this company goes belly up, and it will work more reliably, too. No?
    Yes, this is true about the scheduled scene, but remember that the lutron app communicates all the time with lutron's server. The app doesn't communicate directly to the SMB, everything goes through lutron's server, so everything you wanted to avoid isn't really avoided during most of the time you use your SMB with the app.

And yes, that means lutron knows exactly which one of your lights are on/off and which of your stores are low/high. The app wouldn't work remotely if that wasn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVince View Post
    Whenever I enter a room, if I want my favorite setting, I have to either turn the lights on to 100% then dim them, or look for my Pico.
    Doesn't the Caseta dimmer remember your last dimmer level? It always starts at 100% when you turn it on? Even Maestro is smarter than that, I believe.

According to a Lutorn employee that I spoke with last week, geo-fencing is now on the Caseta app. Haven't had a chance to verify, as I have RR2.
    Simple automation when DIY isn't working
    intuitivehomecontrols@gmail.com
    fb.me/intuitivehomecontrols

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoRep View Post
    According to a Lutorn employee that I spoke with last week, geo-fencing is now on the Caseta app. Haven't had a chance to verify, as I have RR2.
    Looks like version 2.1 now supports geofencing. Nice!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lutr...886753021?mt=8

Quote Originally Posted by veeeh View Post
    Well, it seems like the current server outage at Lutron proved you right: going through a remote server is a bad system architecture that was bound to fail sooner or later. Seems like it happened sooner rather than later.

Kinda sad really. It would have been so simple to have the app connect directly to the bridge without going through the servers. Would even have been cheaper for lutron. I guess they wanted a more expensive solution with a lower MTBF.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast