Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for casetawireless

Hi, I've been lurking this board for several months. I've been using a Caseta system consisting of:

1 HomeKit-enabled SmartBridge Pro
    11 In-Wall/Plug-in dimmers
    10 Pico remotes (all varieties of them including 4 scene, 2 group, standard)

I used to use the Wink hub to control my luton devices, but switched over to the SmartBridge pro two months ago. It is so much more reliable than wink, and the HomeKit support really pushed me over.

Somethings I've noticed that are lacking and would like in future versions of the software/hardware include:

1) Triggering of bridge-managed scenes from the pico remotes --- I know this is possible with the higher-end RadioRA2 system, and it seems that this only requires changes to the software (perhaps removing restrictions). Right now the Pico remotes can only trigger presets that are programmed individually to each Pico remote and these presets affect all devices assigned to the Pico.

2) Better integration with HomeKit. Scenes can only be triggered by a timer or by the Caseta app. These scenes should really be integrated with HomeKit so that they can be triggered with the HomeKit API.

Lutron Technical Support
    Quote Originally Posted by vqvqv View Post
    Somethings I've noticed that are lacking and would like in future versions of the software/hardware include:

2) Better integration with HomeKit. Scenes can only be triggered by a timer or by the Caseta app. These scenes should really be integrated with HomeKit so that they can be triggered with the HomeKit API.

There are some 3rd party Homekit compatible apps that have scene control capability. I believe Elgato Eve is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. View Post
    There are some 3rd party Homekit compatible apps that have scene control capability. I believe Elgato Eve is one of them.
    Yes, and right now it seems like the best third party app for doing this is the "Home" app (iTunes link), because it supports all of the features of Homekit including triggering scenes based on events and conditions.

It just seems dissonant/confusing to have two competing methods for programming scenes. I understand from a technical point of view why this is the case, but from the consumer point of view should I program a lights only scene in the Lutron app, or use a Homekit scene? Homekit scenes are more flexible, because they can be triggered manually, scheduled, or based on events and conditions. And perhaps most importantly, Homekit scenes can be triggered with Siri, whereas Lutron scenes cannot.

Could the Lutron app just export its scenes to Homekit and use those by default when Siri integration is enabled? I have an ecobee3 thermostat with Homekit support and that device is able to export scenes (for setting home and away) to Homekit so it seems that this is something that Lutron could do too.

Lutron Technical Support
    We are looking into having Siri scene functionality in the future, but we don't have a timetable of when that may be available.

We are looking into having Siri scene functionality in the future, but we don't have a timetable of when that may be available.
    Glad to hear it's on the radar!

For those seeking this functionality, I downloaded the free Elgato Eve app onto my iPhone last night. It recognized the whole house in moments. This app has tremendous number of the features that should be incorporated into Lutron's app. Scenes, Zones, and just some of the general layout is better. One of the features - having chose a device, is to have the app 'identify' it. It does that by flashing the lights on/off. Although, I only have one Smart Bridge, it appears it could support more than one. It even flashes the Smartbridge wrapping LED to 'identify' that. It's not for everyone. Yes, it's a little more complicated, than Lutron app. But, well worth it if you have lots of Caseta devices.

P.S. Lutron Forum Admin, Please don't remove my post for advocating this. TY.

I've been a long time Leviton Z-Wave user and Lutron Maestro in my home apartment and just started installing the Lutron Caseta in my apartment to add virtual 3-way switches and automate. It's only been a few days, but I really can't stand the actual design of the dimmers. I guess they want the dimmer to match the pico remote, but why not have the remote match the dimmer? It's only been a day or two but it drives me crazy to use these things.

a) why go away from the 1 tap on/off with minimal side dimmer. It's a nightmare to try to use the things in the dark. You can't just feel the switch with your hands to operate it. Well I guess you can tap the tiny braille dot on the up dim button, but come on. I press it about 3 times before I get it right.

b) why in God's name did they get rid of the favorite dim level on the switch itself? The whole point of a dimmer is to not use it at it's maximum setting. I can turn on blindingly bright light or hold the extremely slow dimming button for 4 seconds to bring it to my comfort level? Come on... Take away the favorite setting on the important part of the device pair and move it to the cheap wireless remote?

It's hard to get behind these switches to use in automation when their core functionality of being a switch is less than that of the regular Maestro switches. I can only think that they either didn't actually test these in real life or just want to differentiate these from the RadioRA branded switches.

So, having given a nice long rant for my first post, does anyone know if they're planned hardware revs in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by sean.scott View Post
    a) why go away from the 1 tap on/off with minimal side dimmer. It's a nightmare to try to use the things in the dark. You can't just feel the switch with your hands to operate it. Well I guess you can tap the tiny braille dot on the up dim button, but come on. I press it about 3 times before I get it right.

b) why in God's name did they get rid of the favorite dim level on the switch itself? The whole point of a dimmer is to not use it at it's maximum setting. I can turn on blindingly bright light or hold the extremely slow dimming button for 4 seconds to bring it to my comfort level? Come on... Take away the favorite setting on the important part of the device pair and move it to the cheap wireless remote?

It's hard to get behind these switches to use in automation when their core functionality of being a switch is less than that of the regular Maestro switches. I can only think that they either didn't actually test these in real life or just want to differentiate these from the RadioRA branded switches.
    Couldn't agree more! I do like my Caseta system, but these are significant issues at the fundamental level.

I use the Caseta System throughout my home and would really like to have a multi-speed fan control.

Quote Originally Posted by sean.scott View Post
    I migrated from Leviton system too. The internal functionality of the Caseta dimmers---LED compatibility without a neutral and clear connect---is solid, but they really dropped the ball with the ergonomics. The buttons feel flimsy and are difficult to use. A large on/off toggle would've been much better. Their saving grace is that I rarely use them because ive tried to automate everything with timers and pico scene controllers.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast