Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable fade rates for Caseta dimmer?

Adjustable fade rates for Caseta dimmer?

I just finished installing a couple Caseta dimmers with a Wink hub and am pretty happy with the install.

With most of the other Lutron dimmers I've installed, the fade up and down times are adjustable. I've seen nothing about this in the Caseta documentation. Is this possible with the Caseta dimmers?

Authorized Lutron Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I just finished installing a couple Caseta dimmers with a Wink hub and am pretty happy with the install.

With most of the other Lutron dimmers I've installed, the fade up and down times are adjustable. I've seen nothing about this in the Caseta documentation. Is this possible with the Caseta dimmers?
    Jacob,

Unfortunately, the fade rates for the Caseta Wireless dimmers cannot be adjusted.

The advanced options for Caseta Wireless dimmers can be found here: http://www.casetawireless.com/Docume...ced%20Inst.pdf.

Thank you for the feedback. I will pass it along to our Caseta Wireless development team.

This is really unfortunate. There at least needs a way to disable the fade altogether. The switches seem slow and laggy - there is a lack of immediate feedback when you hit the on/off buttons. I will not be installing any more of these.

4. Likes ekimla, Knightr liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalride View Post
    The switches seem slow and laggy - there is a lack of immediate feedback when you hit the on/off buttons.
    That could be the Wink hub. When you use the Smart Bridge the buttons react immediately.

6. Likes therockhr liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by asherrick View Post
    That could be the Wink hub. When you use the Smart Bridge the buttons react immediately.
    No, there is no hub involved. You can see the delay using just the in wall switch itself. It is subtle but annoying - like the turn-on delay of some CFL or LED bulbs, even though I'm using it with incandescents that come on instantly with a hard wired switch. Because it fades the response time is seemingly worse - it starts to fade but you can't notice the beginning of the fade right away so you wonder if you hit the button. It is worse with turning off since that fade is slower than turning on. Setting faster fades would help but turning the fade off altogether should be an option. My patience is worn thin enough by my children and I have none left for my lighting.

No, there is no hub involved.
    Sorry, I was thinking that you were the original poster (he was using the Wink hub).

Because it fades the response time is seemingly worse - it starts to fade but you can't notice the beginning of the fade right away so you wonder if you hit the button.
    You could try adjusting the low and high-end trims. This might help a bit.

Setting faster fades would help but turning the fade off altogether should be an option.
    I agree that this should be an option, especially since you can do this on the lower cost Maestro dimmers.

Does the caseta switch (non dimming) turn on instantly.

No, there is no hub involved. You can see the delay using just the in wall switch itself. It is subtle but annoying - like the turn-on delay of some CFL or LED bulbs, even though I'm using it with incandescents that come on instantly with a hard wired switch. Because it fades the response time is seemingly worse - it starts to fade but you can't notice the beginning of the fade right away so you wonder if you hit the button. It is worse with turning off since that fade is slower than turning on. Setting faster fades would help but turning the fade off altogether should be an option. My patience is worn thin enough by my children and I have none left for my lighting.
    I have noticed different bulbs react faster than others. Some with no delay and some with a slight(/ly annoying) delay.
    As the other posts mentioned, if you don't need dimming you can use the switch instead.

Oddly enough, when I use homekit via Siri, the lights fade on/off -much- faster than the in-wall switch. I am not sure what that means, but I suspect there is some kind of control, just not configurable via the in-wall dimmer or the Lutron app.

Any app or system that uses the 3rd party integration (i.e. telnet) has the ability to set the fade rates when they activate a light. So, it should be possible to Lutron to add the ability to set the fade rate when using their app. However, I don't know whether it's possible to change how the switch behaves when you press a button. If it is, that would be fantastic.

13. Thanks julianm thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast